Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
On a No.4 MK2 how tight should the fore-end reinforcing be? Very tight or until takeup is felt?
I do not understand 'fore-end reinforcing (screw)'. Are you speaking of the reinforcing screw used in the grenade-launching fore end or are you speaking of the 'screw, trigger-guard, front'? If you are speaking of the 'screw, trigger-guard, front' then many like to say 'gorilla tight'. HTH.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
He means the screw passing left to right through the forend at it's rear, just in front of the receiver ring. On a No4 Mk 1 there is no such screw it is in the place of the metal reinforce the the rear of the forend.

Tight, but after fully tightening the screw just in front of the magazine which pulls the wood together & beds the barrel/action.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just in front of the buttsocket...the question is one I have never seen posed and, frankly, in my very limited experience with the Mk. 2, I've never even given thought to when I owned a couple of them years ago. Interesting question and answer.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Yup, just a snug feel. A little bit of wrist torque but only a little. As Plonker mentioned, tighten your "king screw" before hand. That's gorilla tight, but only after snugging the rear TG screw first. The torque of the "king screw" will bind the TG screw as the action beds itself. Finally the rearmost cross screw through the forend. Just enough that it doesn't loosen while in use.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Interesting! I cannot recall anyone, in my memory ever asking about the tension on the 'reinforce screw' or, in fact, asking a question about it. I've owned a couple of Mk.2s but quickly rid myself of them because they were too advanced in design and had too few problems needing fiddling with. :p ed

1,196 Posts
Yup, guilty as charged.

Its just that the poor bugger asked a question using correct terminology and had some people puzzled.

Different parts of the world use different names for things. I shouldn't talk, me being a slang using Limey, or should that be Pommy B......? :)

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
no , its the little bitty brass screw and nut at the arse end of a No4Mk2 forend.
I would suspect the question was asked because the owner field stripped the rifle. You can't take the forend off a No4 Mk2 without removing that screw
You have a brass one that is original?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.