Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is true, I got this from another board, but there are too many details to be false. And it is consistent with how they've run their business too boot!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even while Ford and General Motors are asking for taxpayer money to keep their unions funded, they are sending employees on luxury Caribbean cruises.

According to friends of mine currently on the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, both Ford and GM have large groups on board the ship as we speak as part of an employee incentive program. The Navigator of the Seas is one of the largest cruise ships in the world, holding over 3,000 guests and featuring every amenity available at sea.

That may sound innocuous enough until you start looking at the details.

Let's start with GM. They have 61 people on board the ship, all expenses paid. Each suite or guest cabin has a special gift basket, and all of their guests have "folio credits" on their room keys - basically free money to spend on board. Their cruise is all-inclusive: gratuities, alcohol, everything is paid for. In addition, GM has paid for shore excursions for nearly all of them, and the cruise has only one port call.

That may not sound quite so bad, but here's what Ford is doing:

-586 guests, including a variety of employees, including some high-ranking UAW workers

-all expenses paid, including alcohol and gratuities

-there is one master account for *all* charges to room keys

-they have booked "Studio B" - an arena holding 750 people, normally used for ice skating shows - every day of the cruise

-all guests are given VIP packages

-the group has booked every conference room and every board room on the ship

-a 24-hour hospitality desk just for their group

-complimentary dinners for all at the premium on-board restaurant

-folio credits for all guests

And here's the kicker: when the bailout became news, Ford changed the name of the group to "PTS Group" to avoid attracting attention!

Employee incentive trips are not a bad idea, and if that's how they see fit to spend company money that's fine. But at a time when they're asking for taxpayer money, they might want to think about whether it's wise to be seen going out of their way to spend as much money as possible on those trips - the Ford group has even asked to have bottles of Dom Perignon delivered to every one of their rooms.

And if they want to spend money this way, they should spend their money this way. Not ours.

· Gold Bullet member
1,153 Posts
My favorite part was "too many details to be false." Way to sleuth it up Brussel. :)

· Registered
1,169 Posts
That could also be some sort of a GM/Ford employees private travel club perhaps and not offical corporation business. It would be extremely foolish for a major corporation to provide booze to employees, as they might be responsible for the results of something going wrong...............

· Banned
7,260 Posts
Ford's not asking for a bailout only GM and Chrysler, am I right?

· Gold Bullet member
1,153 Posts
Recently forwarded to me:

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Ford's not asking for a bailout only GM and Chrysler, am I right?
Ford wants a piece of the bail out too. IIRC, they just aren't as in dire straits as the other two biggies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.