Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may have been posted here before, but if so it is worth seeing again.

In the video, the hunter makes a 350 yard shot using a M-N 91 over open sites, dropping a feral hog in a Florida swamp. This was his first shot with this rifle. Quite an accomplishment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCSDWM0J-L8&feature=fvw

Enjoy!

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Just plain Lucky, but a great shot nonetheless.

"Never trust anyone with a hyphenated last name!" Why is that?

usrifle

·
Registered
710 Posts
My wife watched the video.

Mrs. Sailor: "Honey there's a lotta meat on that hog...you wanna get your 1897 Mosin out and bring home the bacon. We got lots a feral pigs here in Michigan."

Nice shot. In Russia they drop wolves at that distance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
At 350 yards it's either luck or great shooting, not either/or. Hitting a live target at 350 yards takes skill, not luck.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
I would agree he must have had some skill, but by his own admission, (see the comments after the video) he was "Lucky".
usrifle

·
Platinum Bullet Member
848 Posts
Comments...what kind of vehicle are they shooting from? Why does the shooter hold the rifle like a pool cue? What is with his buddy holding the 12ga with the shell holder on the stock...is hog hunting a tactical situation? First shot with that rifle, pure luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
that was a pretty sweet shot. around here it's hard to find a place where you can stretch your rifle's legs out past 100 yards without being on a long waiting list for some private range or just knowing someone with property who will let you shoot. i'm jealous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say a lucky shot, and that is because he mentions that was the first time shooting that rifle. Of course he has probably shot other rifles and had just got that one. To use open sites takes skill, so I would say he had the skill, but where he hadn't shot that rifle before so to make sure the sites were on, there is where the luck comes in.

I know with my vision the way it is, shooting one of those hogs with open sites at 300 to 350 yards and hitting it would be pure luck for me, even though I have been hunting for over 30 years and have shot all sorts of different firearms.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What is with his buddy holding the 12ga with the shell holder on the stock...is hog hunting a tactical situation?
It can be. If you ever had a full grown wounded boar come at you, it's comforting to have backup. Some of the mixed Russian boars have this thick gristly shield in their chest. I once shot a Russian boar with a 30-06 165 gr Nosler ballistic tip dead center in the chest. It staggered the boar, and he came straight at me. Second shot took him down. The first shot penetrated a little over 3 inches, the gristle was so tough. The second shot was low, through the thinner part and tore up the boiler room.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I would say a lucky shot, and that is because he mentions that was the first time shooting that rifle.
I would agree. With a rifle that I had never sighted in (especially a 91/30), that would be a lucky shot. However, for one that's been sighted in and paired with ammo that it likes, it's nothing amazing. These rifles are easily capable of a shot like that.

John

·
Registered
19,288 Posts
Forum Member Caribou shot a wolf at 500 yds up in Alaska with his M39 and posted that with pictures

THe Mosin rifles will perform. However, this guy got lucky IMHO.

Most hunters find knowing their rifle to be a priority event before going afield. I cannot imagine taking a
hunting rifle to hunt without being intimately familiar with it. To do less is irresponsible

·
Registered
957 Posts
Forum Member Caribou shot a wolf at 500 yds up in Alaska with his M39 and posted that with pictures

THe Mosin rifles will perform. However, this guy got lucky IMHO.

Most hunters find knowing their rifle to be a priority event before going afield. I cannot imagine taking a
hunting rifle to hunt without being intimately familiar with it. To do less is irresponsible

+1 If he's never fired the rifle before to try his first shot on a living creature (at 350yards) is very irresponsible. There had to be skill involved but more poor judgement and luck in my opinion if he didn't know how the rifle shot beforehand.

Also he fired right over the dog from a vehicle. Maybe it's a cultural thing - Hunting from a swamp buggy - I don't know - Doesn't seem sporting and clearly that guy wasn't shooting just to feed himself.

Bad deal.

Tiledude

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would never take a rifle hunting until I had a chance to see how it grouped on paper, not so much because Im concerned about a wounded pig, but rather wasting my time by getting something in my sights and then MISSING. Anyone that has purchased milsurp rifles knows that there is a good chance it will not be dead on when you try to get your zero for the first time.

·
Registered
19,288 Posts
comments

TileDude: I am with you entirely. Not very sporting and really not the kind of hunt
I want to associate with.

MarkoStefano--- 300 yds , iron sights is not difficult if you give it some time and practice at the range and know your rifle and load. Guys like Caribou and Joop take these rifles out and shoot some long range targets (Caribou does it to feed his family in the out reaches of AK, God bless him) with repeated success. Younger guys obviously with better eyes than some of us.

There is a device called GunEyePal that attached to your glasses and clears up iron sight shooting for us older guys. I have been using one for two months very successfully. So if seeing those iron sights is an issue: PLEASE contact me and I will send info how to get this $25 easy to use item that puts you back into the game with iron sights. Do not give up on iron sights and that part of your shooting life .

·
Gold Bullet member
2,273 Posts
It must be nice to have twenty minutes to make a shot. I think that was my pet pig Betsy. She has been missing for a month now and loved people.Now she is bacon. Shot by a guy sitting in an air conditioned booth, wearing a tuxedo, and drinking a martinni.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts