Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI if you want a Xmas present for yourselves: Sounds like they have just a few more they found at the printer:

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
If you wanted proof that Ian is a good guy here you have it. He could have easily increased the price or if he really wanted to make a few dollars he could have trickled out the remaining books on eBay or GunBroker.

I hope there are enough copies for all the Gun Boards members who missed out the first time to get one and I highly recommend that you get your butt in gear to order one before they sell out. Again.

Reactions: Ashcrash

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, I am sure a lot of people in France who have missed the first edition would like to buy the 2nd edition.
But may be I could give them some details, like, is this simply a reprint or does it correct some mistakes of the first edition? Or is it even an expanded version taking into account some discoveries made since (like the detailed production of Chassepots)...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I appreciate very much Ian work to make French guns more appreciated by our US cousins, but Alamas, how about a book by you.

You are providing a lot of "free of charge" hard earned data, a book (or several) would be more than welcome.

kelt

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
I appreciate very much Ian work to make French guns more appreciated by our US cousins, but Alamas, how about a book by you.

You are providing a lot of "free of charge" hard earned data, a book (or several) would be more than welcome.

kelt
Wonderful suggestion!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I will probably do it sooner or later, but probably not before retirement, because :
  • lack of time (working on a book takes often all the free time you have for a year or two), I wrote manuals for my work some years ago during all my evenings and week ends and holidays for a year, and really, it was exhausting and underpaid. This year, I prefer to entirely rebuild the second floor of my house, when I am not closely following the studies of my two sons.
  • lack of contacts with editors, even if I would like to publish some little things in magazines (takes less time than publishing a whole book) and even if I know several authors, this is a small, very well defended club. Well, I could take the risk, like a guy I know, to freely send my paper to a magazine to see if it is published (March issue of Cibles, model 1890 carbines). But if it is refused ? A huge waste of time.
  • I still have so much to learn. If one day I publish something under my name, I really want something as close as possible to Skennerton's books on British service firearms. And I am far from that. I have already been published (for a subject very far from firearms), when you have invested so much of you in a book, it is always very frustrating to see all these mistakes you have written, due to a lack of time, printed.
  • may be I will never be able to do so before the end of my life. It would really a waste to see my knowledge disappearing with me. This is the reason why I willingly help others.

I have helped Eric Denis for his last book about the French Army in 1940, reviewing the chapter about light firearms. This book is still to be published, as far as I know :

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well, I am sure a lot of people in France who have missed the first edition would like to buy the 2nd edition.
But may be I could give them some details, like, is this simply a reprint or does it correct some mistakes of the first edition? Or is it even an expanded version taking into account some discoveries made since (like the detailed production of Chassepots)...
The reprint is mostly just a reprint. We fixed a few errors, but did not add any information that would require changing the page layout. I would like to do an expanded second edition at some point, but I don't have the time to put into hat project yet. When I do, it will definitely include the new Chassepot information, and I would also like to add some material on things like the MAS 45 and possibly SIG-Manurhin 540.

·
Gold Bullet member
718 Posts
Thanks! I hope you like it. :)

Hi Ian, two things: Would it be possible for you to provide the corrections between editions as an errata .pdf for Kickstarter edition owners and , entirely unrelated, I happened to see the beginning of a "Wild Wild West" episode a while back and in the prelude, you see James West pulling out his brass painted, folding stock MAS-36/CR39 "sniper rifle". The episode was from 1967. :oops:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi Ian, two things: Would it be possible for you to provide the corrections between editions as an errata .pdf for Kickstarter edition owners and , entirely unrelated, I happened to see the beginning of a "Wild Wild West" episode a while back and in the prelude, you see James West pulling out his brass painted, folding stock MAS-36/CR39 "sniper rifle". The episode was from 1967. :oops:
Yes, we will be posting the errata on the Headstamp web site. It'll probably be a couple weeks, as I'm on the road right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.