Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Oh my word!:eek: That is a gorgeous rifle! And the calibers are an incredible choice. 6.x55 and .358 Norma Magnum, just awesome. If it shoots as good as it looks the S&L reputation will be more than upheld. Oh yes, the reserve price is only $12,303.66 - just a paltry sum to get in the game:D

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To me, it really looks like the work of VO Vapen in Sweden, including the choice of calibers. The cheek piece really reminds me of the Husqvarna cheek piece.

It is a beautiful gun and the choice of calibers is just about perfect.

OK Kriggevaer, time to step up and cash in some of that Black Hills gold you have been hoarding all these years!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Nuggets as big as yer head, yessirree! :D Stashed in the secret underground cavern known only to me, and I'm not talking.

I don't know the backgrounds of the new owners of S&L, so don't really know what the influences on design and cartridge choices might be. Maybe Umimmak or Swift might have some info on that. The original family owned company pretty much forged its own path when it came to design and engineering, although later in the 1960s you could see American and Swedish influence on the Model 65DL and 68DL. One gun writer has claimed that Roy Weatherby was the major influence on S&L stock design, but that's not true. They may have built some of the Model 56A rifles per Roy's desires, but from the Model 54J through to the Model 100, I don't see that Weatherby had any influence. Oh well, the eye of the beholder.:p

·
Registered
366 Posts
And the current M97 seems to me to be a development of the M100. Or rather a simplification perhaps, to reduce production costs no doubt.
But true S&L pedigree it has, even if it can't be compared with the originals in fit and finish.

Pettson

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Model 100 is an interesting story. It was developed at the old geværfabriken and some were built in Otterup. When the company was sold and a lot of stuff moved to Rask Mølle, the remaining Model 100 parts were assembled there into complete rifles.

I would like to know and perhaps I will get the chance to ask, what was the design/engineering basis of the Model 97. Having only seen pictures of the model 97, the three lug bolt and action reminds me very much of the Sako TRG-S and SIG SHR 970 actions. Pettson, weren't you supposed to get your hands on a Model 97?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had one here for a while, and as far as I can tell it's basics are very similar to the M100, but with some superficial additions, and without the excellent finish...

I will try to get some pictures up.

Pettson

·
Registered
79 Posts
As I understands it, the 97 is a Modell 100, but optimized for massproduction. The old one got so expensive to make, that it in the end killed the old factory. The "new" 97 has though got a very nice reputation.

Best from Umimmak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts