Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any readers that have or have had experience with FN's Forty-Nine pistol. They went out of production in 2008 if I am not mistaken. I have the chance to pick-up a NIB example, with multipl magazines, and would appreciate hearing about the pros and cons of this pistol.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Not sure what happened with it. Before shooting examples were available some writers went gaga over the design features. Then some early shooting tests showed quality problems, and nobody's ever raved about shooting it even when those were fixed. I've never even seen one.

Remember the Colt 2000 and save your money.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Have seen one, never shot it, but it had problems. It tended to misfire on certain ammunitions, like light primer strikes. He had trouble pinning down when it would happen, because it happened sporadically with many brands. He also said it had the disconcerting habit of shooting three or four rounds to one point of impact and then two to another, and back and forth. It was like the barrel tended to lock up differently every few rounds. I think he traded it off after he moved. In things I read most tended to say similar things.

I would personally pass, if I wanted an FN I would go for a Hi-Power which has a habit of working every time.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
Have seen one, never shot it, but it had problems. It tended to misfire on certain ammunitions, like light primer strikes. He had trouble pinning down when it would happen, because it happened sporadically with many brands. He also said it had the disconcerting habit of shooting three or four rounds to one point of impact and then two to another, and back and forth. It was like the barrel tended to lock up differently every few rounds. I think he traded it off after he moved. In things I read most tended to say similar things.

I would personally pass, if I wanted an FN I would go for a Hi-Power which has a habit of working every time.[/QUOTE]

+ a whole bunch on that. I've got a HiPower bbuilt in the 50s that has been mine since 1968. Many, many rounds. Always works. I need a .40 S&W HiPower.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Forty-Nine turned out to be a dud. A few gov't agencies adopted the pistol, then almost immediately rid themselves of it. Quality of the frame, barrel & slide were on par with Glock. The trigger mechanism was a total failure. HEAVY trigger pull... parts broke... light primer hits. They were fine as long as you didn't shoot them much. Once they got some mileage during training, they failed en masse.

All is not lost. FN decided to copy the Hi-Power's grip angle and contour on the FNX & FNS. The FNX & FNS have a definite mag capacity advantage over the Hi-Power. It wasn't hard to transition from packing the Hi-Power to the FNX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.