Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a bead on a Venezuelan FN49 in 7mm locally for a reasonable price under $900. IT appears to be in original configuration and decent condition. This would be my first FN49 in my collection and I had a couple of question

1. Is new production ammo ok to shoot or stick with the surplus stuff?
2. I have heard that these can be under gassed and not reliable. Is this true and are there any fixes?
3. IS under $900 a decent price for an FN49 these days?

I mostly collect Mausers so I am stepping into new territory. Thank you for all your help!
Matt

·
Registered
954 Posts
Reactions: bigwagon

·
Registered
160 Posts
Last two I saw on gunbroker sold for over $1,600. Those were nice guns. Assuming that it is in good condition and hasn’t been messed with that is a very good price. If you are going to shoot it, modern ammo is fine. Just be sure you get a 2 piece firing pin as they will slam fire at some point with the one piece that’s in it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wayne Johnson has an excellent resource book, "The FN-49, The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle". Copies of the Luxembourg sale invoicing (6160 rifles, the entire Army inventory), has my rifle in crate # 147, of 154 crates, at $21.00 bucks per rifle, in 1966. They retailed for $79.00 then (crank up the time machine). The FN49 and the FAL were developed by the same designer, Dieudonné Saive, and produced almost simultaneously. I'd like a FAL but I've got an SAR8 (Greek HK91 PSG1 clone) in 7.62X51 NATO. With 4X50 glass, it;s a tack driver at distance. PAX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.