Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two FN49 rifles. One is an Egyptian in 8mm and the other is a Luxemburg in 30.06. I have shot the 8mm and I have the gas adjustment all of the way open. Which leads me to believe the recoil spring may be week. Last night I cleaned the Lux. It was all I could do to get the top cover on as the recoil spring is so strong. Also the gas adjustment was all of the way closed.

Which leads me to my question. Do these rifles use the same recoil spring or are they different? I would like to order the correct springs in the hope I do not damage my rifles.

Thank you, John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,460 Posts
What 8mm ammo were you using? Even with the gas all the way open the recoil was nasty with some PPU marked 7.92 I tried. It was OK with the PPU SP stuff marked 8mm Mauser. I suspect that a lot of 8mm out there has the wrong pressure curve for the FN-49 design.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What 8mm ammo were you using? Even with the gas all the way open the recoil was nasty with some PPU marked 7.92 I tried. It was OK with the PPU SP stuff marked 8mm Mauser. I suspect that a lot of 8mm out there has the wrong pressure curve for the FN-49 design.
PPU soft point. So this is too harsh for my rifle? What am I supposed to shoot in it? I really do not want to damage it.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,460 Posts
That looks like a more modern package but I suspect is of the 8mm SP that I bought some time ago. With the gas wide open (max exhaust, minimum to the piston) the recoil is reasonable. If the recoil seems harsh then it seems likely that the springs need replacing. I have no idea if they vary between calibers. Have a look at the Numrich website and see if the springs have different part numbers for different calibers.

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
PPU soft point. So this is too harsh for my rifle? What am I supposed to shoot in it? I really do not want to damage it.
Not too harsh at all, but you DO need to properly set up the gas system on your FN so that the rifle does not end up 'overgassed'.

The bolt, receiver, and barrel are built stoutly enough that the only thing likely to damage them would be if the rifle fired out of battery, but that could happen with just about any round you might use.

Start with the gas vent fully open (to where the rifle will not cycle), and GRADUALLY shut the gas port just to the point where the rifle functions reliably, and drops the brass a couple of feet to your right.

While you are making these adjustments, there is no need to repeatedly remove and reinstall the front handguard.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too harsh at all, but you DO need to properly set up the gas system on your FN so that the rifle does not end up 'overgassed'.

The bolt, receiver, and barrel are built stoutly enough that the only thing likely to damage them would be if the rifle fired out of battery, but that could happen with just about any round you might use.

Start with the gas vent fully open (to where the rifle will not cycle), and GRADUALLY shut the gas port just to the point where the rifle functions reliably, and drops the brass a couple of feet to your right.

While you are making these adjustments, there is no need to repeatedly remove and reinstall the front handguard.
I have the gas sleeve all the way to the rear now and the rifle still cycles. I also have some spam cans of Romanian surplus which I read was ok for an FN49. I may try that. I will just buy some new inner and outer recoil springs. I do not want to damage the stock. Thank you for the help.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,460 Posts
I have the gas sleeve all the way to the rear now and the rifle still cycles. I also have some spam cans of Romanian surplus which I read was ok for an FN49. I may try that. I will just buy some new inner and outer recoil springs. I do not want to damage the stock. Thank you for the help.
Mine is the same. It suggests to me that this particular PPU load uses a slower powder than is ideal for a semi-auto, but is not loaded too stout. The stuff I have is 196gr at about 2250 fps according to the PPU website. Full house military 7.92x57 196gr FMJ runs nearer 2500 fps. I know 250 fps doesn't seem like a big difference, but I would bet that the pressure is substantially higher in the milspec ammo.

Reactions: JohnnySako

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have two FN49 rifles. One is an Egyptian in 8mm and the other is a Luxemburg in 30.06. I have shot the 8mm and I have the gas adjustment all of the way open. Which leads me to believe the recoil spring may be week. Last night I cleaned the Lux. It was all I could do to get the top cover on as the recoil spring is so strong. Also the gas adjustment was all of the way closed.

Which leads me to my question. Do these rifles use the same recoil spring or are they different? I would like to order the correct springs in the hope I do not damage my rifles.

Thank you, John
I have two FN49s with Guy Snelen right now. Form what he tells me , you want the gas port cover back just enough to get the rifle to cycle and eject cases about 5-6 ft. He is using PPU 8mm as his benchmark for my rifles and both are being dialed in for that ammo. I would think that if you're seeing cases fly out more than 5-6 ft then you are pushing more gas to the piston than needed. Also, if you have to have it wide open just to cycle properly, then I would think the springs are worn a bit. Give Guy a call maybe, see if he can give you some free advice.

Reactions: JohnnySako

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two FN49s with Guy Snelen right now. Form what he tells me , you want the gas port cover back just enough to get the rifle to cycle and eject cases about 5-6 ft. He is using PPU 8mm as his benchmark for my rifles and both are being dialed in for that ammo. I would think that if you're seeing cases fly out more than 5-6 ft then you are pushing more gas to the piston than needed. Also, if you have to have it wide open just to cycle properly, then I would think the springs are worn a bit. Give Guy a call maybe, see if he can give you some free advice.
I ordered two new spring sets and they are supposed to be here today. Yes, with the gas port wide open it was throwing brass like 15 feet away. I will see how it does with the new springs.

Thank you for the response, John

·
Premium Member
11,737 Posts
I also believe the rifle takes two recoil springs.

Reactions: MGMike

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I replaced the recoil springs and I tried Romanian surplus with similar results except the spent cases only flew a few feet away instead of the next county. I am also still having issues with the rear sight. I may take it to the range after work tomorrow and try it once again. (Yes I know that Romanian is corrosive and I cleaned it very well once I got home)
I do not have much patience so if I do not get it figured out soon it may need to move on. Lol

·
Registered
687 Posts
Three actually. An outer spring and two inner springs connected with a special fitting. Shorter inner spring in the rear, on the short end of the connector, longer spring upfront, on the longer piece. Whole thing inside the outer spring.

I also believe the rifle takes two recoil springs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Did you get it sorted?

I took my rebuilt Egyptian Fn49 to the range over the weekend and it run great. Same PPU ammo you're using, just FMJ. Reminder, this is a gun I got as a bin of parts (together with parts of a Luxembourg FN49) and had Guy Snelen rebuild it. Thread: Box of FN49 parts, junk or worth something?

As far as I know he didn't change the springs, and only adjusted one locking lug.

Did you try giving Guy a call?

Ok, so I replaced the recoil springs and I tried Romanian surplus with similar results except the spent cases only flew a few feet away instead of the next county. I am also still having issues with the rear sight. I may take it to the range after work tomorrow and try it once again. (Yes I know that Romanian is corrosive and I cleaned it very well once I got home)
I do not have much patience so if I do not get it figured out soon it may need to move on. Lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get it sorted?

I took my rebuilt Egyptian Fn49 to the range over the weekend and it run great. Same PPU ammo you're using, just FMJ. Reminder, this is a gun I got as a bin of parts (together with parts of a Luxembourg FN49) and had Guy Snelen rebuild it. Thread: Box of FN49 parts, junk or worth something?

As far as I know he didn't change the springs, and only adjusted one locking lug.

Did you try giving Guy a call?
No. I have not called him. I ordered replacement springs from Numrich and installed them. One large outer and two small inner. The inner ones seem to be the same length. Instead of the PPU I have been using Romanian surplus. I still have the gas sleeve completely open and it functions. It still throws the cases about six feet or so away. This thing could have been set up wrong from the get go. I don't know. Mine is a Century built King of Saladin. I should try my Luxemburg and see if there are any differences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts