Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one I got in January from Proxibid. It’s a mixmaster: receiver A8015, bolt force matched 8015, trigger guard A2199, floorplate 17, sight leaf 89, rack number on stock 56. It has the Uruguayan cartouche on the stock and an FN name crest on the receiver ring. The only thing that identifies it as Uruguayan is the stock cartouche.

20,000 were made for Uruguay about 1895 in the no prefix and A prefix blocks. It now has a correct Uruguayan M1895 bayonet, Belgian made, which I have had for many years. It came with the cleaning rod and I put a (probably Spanish) generic sling on it. Not that it matters all that much, but I would call the bore VG+.

It has no import marks and is, of course, an antique. It came to me with a refinished stock, which I stripped.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,778 Posts
A really amazing find Bill, and so rare that matching numbers wouldn't matter to me. The fact that they do not match makes me think that it somehow came out of Uruguay where several disassemblies and cleanings were done in the past. What kind of frog is on the bayonet?

·
15,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is just the way it was imported. It is hard for me to imagine how parts get mixed up, but I suppose it is possible when you just don't care and don't even look at the numbers. Most of the time mismatched parts work OK, and if they don't, just get a bigger hammer.

The frog is Argentine. I picked up several on Ebay for my various South American Mausers.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ed.

I have mixed feelings about this one because of the stock. I stripped the varnish it came with and I think it does look much better - but it still does not look original. I have come to be able to recognize the look of a stripped stock and they will never look totally right to me.

I am glad that the stock cartouche seems to look better after stripping than before under varnish. I was concerned about damaging it in the stripping process. The photos show before and after on the cartouche.

Regards,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
2,386 Posts
Bill, I have the same concerns. How much do we clean and or restore? Made many mistakes when I started collecting back in the 1970's. I think you made the right move on the cartouche. Enjoy. Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.