Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is a nice one. The symbols and lettering seem to all be nice and deep and matching. The first 100,000 were made at FN in Belgium for them until they could get their own factory going. It is an intermediate-ring receiver.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Darryl,
Congraulations! A super rifle!
This rifle and the Brazilian M1922 are the first FN-made contract rifles after WW I around 1924-25. This was made for Yugoslavia at the time it called itself the "Kingdom of the Sebs, Croats and Slovenes", hence the strange "CXC" abbreviation of the left side of the receiver. Is it import marked? A few nice ones like this were imported by Century from Albania in the early 1990's, but others were brought home after WW II by GI's.

These rifles are heavily serialized, (like the Mexican 24's and Brazilian 22's) because FN did not have the manufacturing capability to do precision manufacturing until the advent of the M.1930
Regards,
John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 30cal and John. It is not import marked and is all matching. I had wondered why this rifle had so many serials on it compared to later FNs, even the safety has the last 2 digits etched on one side.
A couple of questions: is the VZ24 type front sight protecter proper and did these have blued bolts? Bolt is definitely blued except for the firing pin and wear is comparable to the rest of the rifle.
Also, John did you get my email concerning the Dutch KSO?
Darryl

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Thanks 30cal and John. It is not import marked and is all matching. I had wondered why this rifle had so many serials on it compared to later FNs, even the safety has the last 2 digits etched on one side.
A couple of questions: is the VZ24 type front sight protecter proper and did these have blued bolts? Bolt is definitely blued except for the firing pin and wear is comparable to the rest of the rifle.
Also, John did you get my email concerning the Dutch KSO?
Darryl
Hi Darryl,
Yes, I got the email and just responded! Many thanks!

I have only one Yugoslav rifle with a blued bolt and it's buttstock is cut for a Kar98k sling. So I'd guess that this rifle was used by you-know-who. All Yugoslav rifles I've seen in original pre WWII condition have bolts in the white. My gues is that your FN may well be an ETO trophy rifle.
Best Regards,
John

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Yes, congrats on very nice find. That rifle would have been imported into Yugo hands in a first batch of 50,000 in 1926.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Excellent trade. You don't find these everyday. Congrats.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nice rifle. Hard to tell from the pic but the front sight protector almost looks like one for a Czech VZ-24 rifle. The stock cartouche Crown over A is for King Alexander I. Good trade!
D.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,079 Posts
For what it's worth

I have an all matching M1924 vet bring back that is cut for the k98 sling, modified German sling band, Eagle B proofed and the bolt is still in the white.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts