Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a Mauser by FN, no crest on the ring....8mm looks sorta like an early 98k. Has the handguard that surrounds the rear sight like on an M48. Bolt is straight, buttplate is flat and stock appears to be hardwood. All matching....what is it?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Sounds like a FN Model 24/30 that has had it receiver scrubbed. Spanish Civil War use maybe?? Does the stock have a flaming bomb stamped on one side?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Yugo 24/47? How about more details? Stock disc? Finger grooves? Front band configuration? Any markings at all?? Pictures???

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Milled front band (98 style) and swivel. Bottom swivels on band and stock. Stock has no grooves but buttplate is flat and "ribbed". No crest and not ground that I can tell. Front sight base is not cut for a sight hood. All milled parts...

I'll try and get some pics in the next day or two....

·
Registered
658 Posts
can't i.d. it for you, but I sure like it!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
A model 1924 of some sort but whose I have no idea. Not Yugo. The rail marking is different from those provided them in 1928.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
This is an FN Model 1930, (or 24/30) with the standard length receiver. As Nug inicated, the sidrail text is the later type not found on Yugoslav FN0made rifles). The text in the picture is without serifs indicating production between the mid-1930's to the early 1950's. Model 1924 production (with intermediate length receivers) stopped around 1930-32.

A puzzling rifle since it has not crest!!
Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
John I have a similar rifle to this one, however it has the Belgian "B" as it's crest and is dated 1952 on the receiver. What are these rifles worth?? Mine is all matching and in %80 condition.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the interesting part on this one is the 2 digit serial number on the rec, right side at the woodline and stamped into the wood just under that and on the bolt handle.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
This is an FN Model 1930, (or 24/30) with the standard length receiver. As Nug inicated, the sidrail text is the later type not found on Yugoslav FN0made rifles). The text in the picture is without serifs indicating production between the mid-1930's to the early 1950's. Model 1924 production (with intermediate length receivers) stopped around 1930-32.

A puzzling rifle since it has not crest!!
Regards,
John
Thanks for the details John!:)
You might want to snag pics of that one for future consideration.
Who all received those that might have wanted plain receivers or later scrubbed such rifles?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
I picked up 5 of these back in the mid-1980s (long since traded or sold) but 3 were in 8mm, and the other 2 were 30-06. All had no crest. The 30-06 ones had a tiny "30-06" stamped where the crest should be.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,098 Posts
Jeremy,

That's a really nice find, they don't show up too often without a crest.

·
Registered
646 Posts
FN no crest

I have a rifle that is much like yours. Only differences I see compared to your pics and description are: mine has turned down bolt, 5 digit serial number, bolt and rear sight seem to have a light phosphate finish and rear sight is marked in arabic. It has a double broach cut receiver and looks to be unissued though it has some scratches and dings. JL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts