Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it’s a FN Mauser but I’m not sure. Bubba got to it. The orginal barrel length appears uncut. It’s a short barrel. I think it’s a 7.65x53 arg caliber. Would it be a 1891? I return bubba guns back to there orginal condition where I can. But I need to figure out what it is first.
Thanks, bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pics? Belgium used the 1889 up until WWII. 7.65x53 Mauser is known as Argentine in the States because that's the most common gun encountered here. It is also known as 7.65 Belgian in some markets

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was reading an article on the Congo in the recent Firearms News, and The Congo used a lot of Mausers in 7.65x53. Never seen one on the surplus market, and I think they were FN supplied, which would make sense, given "The Belgian Congo" and all.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well without pictures, who knows what it is. It seems he may not even be sure of the caliber.
Dan

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll post pics ASAP sorry. The bore is bigger than 7 mm. I’ll mic it again.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here’s pics, it says Frabrique Nationals. Herstal Loewe serial #4029 barrel length appears to be uncut,

19.375” from muzzle to the front edge of the receiver without measuring the threads

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The bore mics 7.52mm or .298” what is it? The barrel is 19.375” long from the muzzle to receiver face. The muzzle appears uncut and has a flat spot we’re the front sight goes. It’s not damaged and maybe can be restored.

The receiver says Fabriic National, hertiale

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Pictures are too fuzzy to see much of anything.
Dan

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wrote down what it says on the receiver.

Fabric Nationale. Hertiale. That’s all that’s on the receiver, it’s a 19 3/8” barrel uncut.

I gather it’s a FN 7.65x53 carbine I just don’t know who it was made for. I have no clue what I’m going to do with it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's pretty obvious it's a Belgian 1889. They used them for 50 years, even longer in the Congo.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They weren't allowed to export them by Lowe, their parent company at the time. After they weren't there wasn't any want for them. FN moved on to the 98 pattern guns. Belgium continued using the 1889 for so long due to the cost off transitioning. They were just barely starting to transition when WWII happened.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's pretty obvious it's a Belgian 1889. They used them for 50 years, even longer in the Congo.

The 1889/91 did not have the non-rotating extractor that this bolt has. Seems instead to a be a 1893.

But again, pics, more of them, showing more of the barreled actions, will help in better identifying what the OP has.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The 1889/91 did not have the non-rotating extractor that this bolt has. Seems instead to a be a 1893.

But again, pics, more of them, showing more of the barreled actions, will help in better identifying what the OP has.
Well I suppose it might be one of the Brazilian contract that they did before Lowe took it over.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Try to give a more detailed answer:
  • receiver and bolt are Mauser M93 type in 7x57 mm, same as Spanish Mauser. That is clearly visible by the bolt head. The FN company (Fabrique Nationale, Herstal Liege) sold these rifles to Brazil, Uruguay, and Spain. The Spanish and Uruguay samples had a simple FN receiver text, like yours.
  • the barrel looks not to be the original military barrel: the shape of the barrel near to the receiver is unusual for Mauser military rifles (these had straight, stepped barrels). So a later barrel change, in probably larger caliber.
  • the receiver looks to have 2 holes for a scope mount on the left rail --> another hint for a re-barreling

Here 2 pics of the Uruguay M93 rifle i sold 2 years ago.

Chris

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well I suppose it might be one of the Brazilian contract that they did before Lowe took it over.

Nope. The 1889/91 did not have a non-rotating extractor, period. The "claw" extractor on this bolt is a dead giveaway! Bagiman gets it! And his comments regarding the barrel seem spot on as well. Not a military contour barrel.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Opps the side of the receiver has three threaded holes that are plugged with set screws. They run across some of the serial number.
Since it’s serves no purpose to me in 7.65 x53 arg I wonder if it’s worth rebarreling. Orginal parts to restore it chances of finding them are slim to none.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Opps the side of the receiver has three threaded holes that are plugged with set screws. They run across some of the serial number.
Since it’s serves no purpose to me in 7.65 x53 arg I wonder if it’s worth rebarreling. Orginal parts to restore it chances of finding them are slim to none.

Having been most likely 7mm Mauser to start with, it would seem odd that it would have been rebarreled to 7.65X53, at least if done here in the US as the former caliber was probably more common than the latter back in the day. Has that been determined for certain to be the caliber of the replaced barrel? Maybe .30 caliber?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Looks an awful lot like an 03 Springfield barrel that has been rethreaded and chambered to fit. Might be .300 Savage, a common practice when surplus 03 barrels were readily available. Suggest a chamber cast to verify chambering.

The 7.65x53 is a great cartridge.

Worth rebarreling? Depends. Small Ring Mauser barrels can still be found at reasonable prices. Pre-threaded and chambered options are limited though. .257 Bob, 7x57, and 6.5x55 being the most common options and sometimes .300 Savage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts