Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an old Mauser at the gun show yesterday. Seller told me this was an FN made Spanish Mauser in 7mm model 1893. It has the FN stamp on the receiver just like the picture on page 298 in Balls Third Edition, Mausers of the world. It has pretty tiger striped wood. He says it was from a small contract by FN of appx 18,000 rifles. Did not have the cleaning rod and was pitted underneath the handguard as it looked like the gun had never been taken apart.

My question is are these guns highly sought after for collectibility?, are they shootable with store bought RemChester cartridges. The rifling looks pretty good with slightly dark bore. The main reason I bought it was because of the pretty stock, but curious about any Spanish mauser gurus out there who can tell me more about what I now have in the collection. Also curious as to when this contract of 18,000 was made. Dont see any dates yet on the receiver.

Thanks
Opee

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Opee,
Only 14,000 FN-made M.1893's were sold to Spain by Ludwig Loewe and Co. The FN centennial corporate history published in 1989 says that this number included both carbines and rifles, and that the sale took place in March of 1896.

Yes, they are very collectible if you can find them in matching original condition. I have never seen one in this condition however. On the other hand, battered M.1893 long rifles are around, but usually bring very little because of condition issues, the presence of newer Oviedo parts, being always mismatched, and very poorly stored over the years

The only decent high quality long M1893's made by FN which occasionally turn up are the Uruguayan 93's. In matching, original NRA Good condition, if well-marked, they sell for around $1,000.
Regards,
John

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
FN M1893 Rifles

Besides the Uruguayan FN M93, the followup Brazilian M94 by FN (NO differences from M93) is also a good quality collectible. A Little rarer than the corresponding Loewe Brazilian M94, they are usually in much better condition that the Spanish Contract FN 93s.

I have both Spanish and Brazilian Rifles,, and a "?" M93 Cav-Carbine as well (No markings besides Factory). The surperior quality of FN production shows through, even if the Spanish one is about "Descompuesto".

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics,

·
Copper Bullet member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info guys. I took the rifle apart and cleaned up all the dirt and corrosion products, etc. After a number of runs through the barrel it looks like the bore is going to stay dark and possibly some pitting.

My question now is should I just keep the rifle as is and not try to shoot it due to barrel condition, or are there enough surplus barrels out there that I could get my hands on and have a smith install a new (used) barrel.

Very few of the numbers match and I have always wanted a small ring 7 mm shooter, especially with the tiger stripes. I have very little money in the rifle right now, so how much are we looking to buy a used barrel and have it installed? Ballpark number? Thanks in advance.
Opee

·
Silver Bullet member
3,283 Posts
Don't buy another barrel until you've tested the original. There have been plenty of instances where a dark bore cleans up after firing and cleaning. Often even dark bores are as accurate as a person can shoot with open sights.
You wanted a shooter? Take it to the range and give it a chance!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Agreed. Dark (describes COLOR only - usually from long-term oil, grease, or chemical staining) or even slightly pitted ("frosted") bores may perform beyond your expectation. Clean it as best you can, checking it for any cracks in the receiver or pressure containment areas. American factory ammo is loaded somewhat light so as to not overstress older rifles such as yours. Enjoy! DDR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts