Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with putting my wartime High Power back together. matching numbers, so the barrel / slide assembly should just slide back fully onto the frame. But it stops about 1/2" short of lining up.
Dont know what the hangup is, but I've disassembled another to study it , everything looks identical, and the comparison piece goes back together just fine.
(I've also studied several YouTubes and they don't mention any tricks required. I'm puzzled. I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm just not seeing it.)

thanks for any help !!!!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,809 Posts
HPs are really simple to assemble, and everything looks right. Check these 4 areas:
-is the firing-pin retainer all the way in?
-is the barrel fully seated in place?
-wiggle the end of the recoil spring guide in the barrel stub a bit to make sure it's in the perfect spot.
-is the trigger lift finger all the way into its groove?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,267 Posts
Try turning the recoil spring guide over. It has a tab that fits into an offset slot in the barrel. If it is upside down, the assembly will be off to one side which is what it appears to be in picture three.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,809 Posts
The pic above looks like it's in the right way.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yes it appears that is the problem, if not the only other thing I can think of is the vertical pin that holds the extractoris in the hole too deep......oops he said wartime production....no pin....sorry.:p

·
Copper Bullet member
9,809 Posts
I don't know what you guys are looking at, but that recoil spring guide is in the right way.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,809 Posts
Yes it's pictured the right way but that doesn't mean the owner doesn't have the recoil guide installed upside down. A Hi-Power won't go back together in that condition.
Jim
That's his pistol! It is obviously installed correctly! Unless he changed it after the pic was taken, that is not the problem!

·
Registered
144 Posts
disconnector in correctly and the retaining pin flush with the slide? At the point shown where the slide stops it is most likely the recoil spring guide upside down as previously mentioned.
Not much can do this unless you put the slide in a vise and squeezed the ejection port area though this usually prevents insertion of the barrel into the slide.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Recoil spring guide is upside down. In the position shown the slide will be stopped from full rearward travel by the projection of the guide head as seen in the next to last photo.
Recoil spring guide IS upside down. Measure the excess Not closing slide and look at how close thSy coinsides to the recoil spring guide "upside down".
I've done it recognize the problem. Simply try it..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Copper Bullet member
9,809 Posts
I just took 5 of my Hi-Powers down. All work perfectly, and all the recoil spring guides are installed exactly as shown in the OP. Some of you need to look at your own pistols, or at least learn how to reassemble them. The ejector out of place is the most-likely culprit. Sorry I didn't notice that before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just took 5 of my Hi-Powers down. All work perfectly, and all the recoil spring guides are installed exactly as shown in the OP. Some of you need to look at your own pistols, or at least learn how to reassemble them. The ejector out of place is the most-likely culprit. Sorry I didn't notice that before.
To the original poster...

Pull the barrel and recoil spring out of the slide and see if the slide moves freely on the rails. That will remove a couple of possible hang-ups and negate the discussion about the recoil spring guide.

If it is truly the extractor it will be evident with the barrel and spring removed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.