Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..here are the specifics. This rifle is in pre-ban configuration..semi auto only, S and R marked positions..there is a pin that prevents selector from rotating to a third unmarked position. It has a bayo lug/ flash attachment, synthetic or plastic hand guards and butt stock. Sling swivels..front one rotates on barrel. Stamped markings are as follows; GEW FAL KAL. 7.62 FN, FABRIQUE NATIONAL ARMES DE GUERRE, SN# 354xx, 1005-13-100-0010, and lastly 9-57. There are no sand grooves in bolt. This is not one of the Secaucus marked imports.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still working on the details..I honestly do not know much about this one. It does not seem like a kit build.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
It seems from the description that you have an actual FN made FAL rifle made in September of 1957.
If the sight ears are solid & the rear sight is fixed (non-folding) graduated from "2" to "6" & the front sight post is a round pin with a wheel including numbers & 2 holes in it for adjusting then you have a metric pattern FN-FAL rifle.
You can confirm this by looking at the inside front of the magazine well. The cut for the magazine to latch in to should be "D" shaped.
The Bolt should lock back on an empty magazine. The gas regulator should have numbers from "1" through "7" on it.
What else did you want to know?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have answered my question...I wonder if this is one of the Belgian FN's made for Austria before Steyr began production in 1958?

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Take a look at the top profile of the buttstock. If there is a cut down section (known as a humpback) stock it is not an StG58 Austrian one as they had a stock without that feature. The stock comb is pretty much a dead strait line from end to end on StG 58 type stocks.

If you look at the underside of the receiver, at the hinge point & there is a small square hole with something up inside it then you have the dreaded safety sear fitted.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The rifle in question is a West German G1 FN FAL..I did more looking and searching. There is a small eagle with 269 stamped in the milled out area of the lower on the right side..near the 9/57. The flash/bayo lug attachment is about 5.5 inches long and has five long slots..bottom is slot free. Dark plastic hand guards with 3 vent holes and a long grasping groove on each side. Black plastic hollow pistol grip. Butt stock is humped, dark plastic with hard rubber pad.. Cocking knob is black plastic as is the carry handle.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
I was thinking German because of the GEW like you see on the Mauser 98.

There are still tow outstanding issues:

1) Where are the pictures

2) How much?

:)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,137 Posts
Possibly the receiver might be from a G1, but the rest of the gun has been assembled from a variety of non-G1 parts. The right-hand side of the receiver has an uneven surface that suggests to me that the receiver was torched and welded back together, but you've have to examine it inside and out more closely to tell for sure.

M

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This one has no marking on the lowest position. It has a pin that stops the selector switch which has a notch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Possibly the receiver might be from a G1, but the rest of the gun has been assembled from a variety of non-G1 parts.
For sure. The Belgian flash hider is a dead giveaway, as is the plastic buttstock. G1s had a twist on flash hider that locked on a lug that was machined on to the underside of the barrel. The G1 flash hider also served as a grenade launching spigot.

Well, if it's a G1 receiver, it's a machine gun. There were no semi-auto G1s.
Yes, but they could legally be turned into semis by welding up the safety sear and cutting it flush with the ejector block. See the court case, US vs One FAL Rifle. F-troop won't admit it, but there is a legal precedent.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,137 Posts
For sure. The Belgian flash hider is a dead giveaway, as is the plastic buttstock. G1s had a twist on flash hider that locked on a lug that was machined on to the underside of the barrel. The G1 flash hider also served as a grenade launching spigot.

See the court case, US vs One FAL Rifle./QUOTE]

Do you have a citation?

M

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No matter now. I just returned the rifle to the gunshop with all of your input. There is a DSA coming up for sale..used and I think My $$ is better spent on something else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts