Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a buddy ask me this and i honestly couldnt tell him the answer so can anyone here give me a hand? he wanted to know which type of 5.7 round was the one that will supposedly go through body armor(supposed to be the first rounds they brought in?) and also if any is still available on the market so he can buy about a hundred rounds?thanks in advance for any help y'all.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
The AP FN 5.7 ammo is prohibited for sale to other than LEO and Military here in the US thanks to the Cop Killer Bullet Law.
The AP 5.7 was never sold on the open market here in the US, and what little of it that is out there was liberated from LEO or Military sources.
But you can use pulled military S109 bullets to reload your 5.7 brass and create more or less the same thing.
Gregg

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have seen the AP 5.7X28 rounds for sale. Once at a gunshow and once by ad. Some moron was selling the APT and AP 5.7X28 ammo at a local shooting range and had an ad posted on the bulletin board. Price? $350.00 for a 50 round box. I told one of the rangemasters that this ad should be taken down as this ammo was illegal but he told me they had to be "surplus" ergo that made them legal. I replied that there was no surplus 5.7X28 ammo and that if somebody got shot with stuff it would not bode well for the range. The head rangemaster overheard us and came over. I said if you don't believe me just check the BATFE website and that will tell you what pistol bullets cannot be made of. Plus I said, "Why the hell do you think he's selling these rounds for seven bucks a round?". The head honcho decided wisely to remove the ad.

As an aside, I have a FN 5.7X28. The LF SS195 rounds will penetrate a LOT! I think they would probably go through a Level II soft vest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the ones im thinking of were not ap they were pretty much a ball(fmj) round. i think i read something aboutthe reason they could penetrate armor was a combination of their small diameter and high speed.anarchy,the ss195 rounds are those ball or the leadfree hollowpoints i see advertised so much? i think what he wants are the early ball rounds from when they first brought it in. from what ive read they were loaded hotter that what fn is importing now.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
SS195 are LF hollowpoints. The only other 5.7X28 rounds available are loaded with Hornady V-Max slugs and they are pretty lame compared to the SS195.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
I bought a Five seven some time ago, the pistol came with italian rounds made by Fiocchi, cant say if the slugs were made by Hornady, the bullet ended in a blue plastic cone-

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
ss190.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts