Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had this 49 for a little more than a year now. It came to me all matching and looked barely used, especially the bore. Only non-original part I noticed was that someone had upgraded the original one piece firing pin spring to a two piece.

What I want to do here is get some opinions on the muzzle brake. It looks original as far as I can tell. The only thing that makes me suspect otherwise is that it clocks at about 1 o'clock when tight instead of right at 12. I checked if there is any corrosion or fouling preventing it from tightening into the correct position and I cannot see any. The paint has exactly the same color and quality of reflectivity as the paint on the rest of the rifle. I have a copy of The FN-49: The Last Elegant, Old-World Military Rifle and the pics and specs match the examples in the book. The OEM FN-49 spanner/gas adjuster tool also fits it perfectly.

Trouble is, this is the only Vene FN-49 I have access to in the flesh, so I have no other brake to compare it to or other barrel to try my brake on.

To make it even better, it seems someone once tried to remove or tighten the brake with an incorrect tool using lots of force, causing peeing and perhaps distorting the threads enough to cause the clocking issue.

Goose has already given his input via PM, but I wanted to get some other opinions/experiences of people who have handled more of these rifles than I have.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so this info comes from Goose's book. The only FN-offerered muzzle brake for the 49 was of the type found in the pics above on my rifle. It has six slots cut in either side. The metal webbing on the top and bottom between the slots (which are located on the sides when the brake is timed correctly) is about .20" and .40" wide, respectively. This brake was installed on the all the Venezuelan contract rifles and the few Egyptian contract sniper rifles. All other variations had one of 2 styles of muzzle cap installed.

To the best of my knowledge, a flash hider was never installed on or provided for these rifles by FN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.