Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a few FN-49's as well as other FN-49 related items. I was very lucky to obtain two Colombian's as well as a Egyptian rebuild with the eagle crest. One of the Colombian's is a very early rifle with S/N 0006. It is all matching still, and has the original butt plate. The other Columbian is a later gun with a S/N in the 500's and has the rubber butt pad similar to the one found on the Columbian Madsen bolt rifle.

Regarding the other Items I will have around 5 new 8mm barrels and approx 5 ex-Belgian stocks. The major items are the sniper scopes. I will get four sets of sniper scopes including the Echo mounts as well as the bases. I may be able to obtain another Colombian and maybe a few non rebuild Egyptians.

I will probably sell the scopes, and a few stocks. I will post on the trader and here first before I send them to auction. I will post pic's when I can.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good show!

#6 is already in the data base so the prior owner already reported it. What is the number of the other rifle? (I have 9 rifles in the 5xx range - perhaps I already have that one as well).

I could also use the serials from the OIP scopes as I have a data base on those as well ...

Goose

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just acquired another Argentine FN-49, an interesting one because all the parts with the exception of the piston, gas plug, bolt and springs are phosphated. All matching gun, all parts marked properly with the R stamp incl. front sight, trigger guard and others. The gun is in great shape, good bore etc. - the phosphate finish is very high quality, looks original, every small part, screws, trigger assembly, bolt carrier, etc is phosphated. Stock is old greasy/dirty but oherwise fine, cartouched on tang, not sanded, sling swivel and screws are phosphated. Everything was very dry, old and "dusty" when I got it but its coming to life very nicely as I clean it up. My other ones have stoving finish and a few phosphated parts here and there, but this one is nearly the full monty. The FN bible mentions some phosphated parts for this contract but wonder if such extensive phosphating has been noted before. Serial is low 400's. There is also a "22" in white paint on the bottom of the forend cap.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nearly all of these either have remnants of the original FN black enamel paint, and/or have flat-black paint applied in Argentina. So, all park is not typical. What color is the park ?

Also, what book are you using as a reference ?

(Jimmy - sorry - we're drifting a bit off-topic here ...)

Goose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, was referring to The FN-49 book by W. Johnson p.55 where it mentions "varying shades pf phosphate" for some parts in the Argentine contract guns. The color of the park on mine is basically slate grey, very similar to my standard M1A barrel. I held them side by side in good light and the FN49 is just a shade lighter and perhaps has a vague tinge of green as well. It is a very uniform seemingly high quality application. The only place I saw some black paint was a small patch on the front sight base behind the blade and just a smidgen on the gas regulator. Again the gas plug and entire bolt assembly are not parked although the bolt carrier is. In regard to the import mark under the barrel "Arme'tos, W PB FL", the lettering is bright metal so I presume it was marked some time after the park was applied. If the gun was parked after importation I'd think the lettering would also be parked, unless of course parkerizing doesn't take to ep'd steel, am not sure about that.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
teby, I guess you don't know Goose52 is the author of the book you are referring to, and a true expert in all things FN-49.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How 'bout that, glad to make your acquaintance sir! Its a great book, it cost me a lot of money in FN49s but worth every penny!

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These rifle do have a way of draining your pocket book! But are worth every penny.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,530 Posts
Hey Jimmy C.! If you decide to let go of those scopes and mounts I am in the market for a set. Please let me know if you make your mind up.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IHmacs PM sent.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I will post the scopes on the trader board on 9-30. The stocks and barrels will follow soon after that. I will also have two French scope set up's for the Mas 49/56's in their leather cans. If you are interested drop me a PM. My reply might be tardy as I will be without a computer until 9-30.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nice Collection. I have an FN49 in 7mm Mauser. Believe it is Venezuelan. Never been fired, and we've had it since my Grandfather bought it sometime after they first hit US soil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts