Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone could comment on the condition of the last converted models brought into the country (with 20 round mags). Were they in generally excellent condition or some lesser condition. Also, how was the quality of the finish as compared to the original FN (pre-conversion) finish.

·
Registered
585 Posts
None of the rifles have what would be called an original collector-grade finish. All of these rifles were re-worked in Argentina during the converion process. Probably about 1/2 of the stocks were refinished. Nearly all of the rifles show varying levels of repaint. None of the work matches an FN factory-fresh finish.

Goose

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably aware SOG has them in their flyer. Seems like the same FN's you wrote about as the last rifles brought in. Reason I asked is that there are no pictures on the web-site and I wanted to see if anyone has seen them close up in person. Not sure if they are pricey or not. With matching bayonet they are close to $900.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There were said to be only 26 rifles available. There has been no new import of these rifles - these are part of the 2003 Armamentos import. There is no reason why the condition of these would be better than the other 1000 rifles in this import. Of course, the condition could potentially be worse if these were the bottom of the barrel.

The price is somewhat expected. SOG has not listed any of these for a while and knew that demand had built back up a bit. Just before the 2003 import, the rifles of the 1st import (1995/1996) had reached the $800 and up price range. SOG sold the 2003 rifles for $695 - a good price at the time. Now, with no other rifles available, SOG is pricing these last rifles accordingly.

Of course, there are still 3,500 rifles in this contract that are unaccounted for and there is always the potential for a future import that could lower the pricing level again...

Goose

·
Registered
10 Posts
I talked to SOG today, they informed me that all the 308 Argentine rifles have parkerized finish, thats how they came from importer. Apparently they must have been parked in Argentina. I have one, all matching with bayo, it certainly looks like an original, quality park job, not something done later. Only parts not parked are the gas plug, piston, springs, bolt assembly. My understanding is the metal was parked then painted black, wonder if these just never got painted, or paint was removed? Bright bore, wood is good, no damage, just needed usual cleanup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts