Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this FN 1922 Saturday at a local show for $300.

.32 ACP, SN 37886 on the 3 major parts I can see (have not had the chance to take apart further, yet).

Just looking for more info on it. I was told it is a post-war gun. I am not super knowledgeable about these pistols but the price based on observations from here, Gun Broker, etc. seemed too good to pass up. If nothing else, thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi HerrKaiser
Can you take a few close up pictures of the proof marks on the pistol? They are well made pistol & I have never seen one shoot badly. I have two . One German marked think it was proofed in 1943 & the other is a 1946 model.
Google is your friend!
Enjoy,
point6
Ivan and point6, thank you!

I will take some more pictures up close and post them later tonight after work.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
?????????

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Mismatch junk sks' $650 to $700 here. Reblued mismatch lugers $2500. M1 garands mostly cmp without paperwork $1400. With cmp paperwork $2000. SMLE Enfields with yellow and red paint $800-$1000. Best deal I have seen in ages was a Star B hessen police contract with matching mag for $300. I gobbled that up so fast my head is still spinning. I swear the typical seller would have put that on the table for $500 minimum and that is me being generous. Oh I found a rearsenaled winchester M1 carbine with winchester barrel except it had some pretty serious gouges in the barrel up near the front sight and the stock was heavily sanded destroying all marks then stained for $1400. Maybe that's a good price nowadays. Me don't think so so me left it in the store.

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
Mismatch junk sks' $650 to $700 here. Reblued mismatch lugers $2500. M1 garands mostly cmp without paperwork $1400. With cmp paperwork $2000. SMLE Enfields with yellow and red paint $800-$1000. Best deal I have seen in ages was a Star B hessen police contract with matching mag for $300. I gobbled that up so fast my head is still spinning. I swear the typical seller would have put that on the table for $500 minimum and that is me being generous. Oh I found a rearsenaled winchester M1 carbine with winchester barrel except it had some pretty serious gouges in the barrel up near the front sight and the stock was heavily sanded destroying all marks then stained for $1400. Maybe that's a good price nowadays. Me don't think so so me left it in the store.
WHERE IS THAT ???

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
These 1922's are a real trip. They were extremely popular and several nations bought them and had their logo put on them. I had a Serbian one and a Dutch one. There are several more, but never could find them so I sold off mine. Your's looks too good to be war time or pre war. Didn't know they made them after the war but why not !!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Post-war 100%. Count the slide serrations. 17 pre-war, 18 war-time, 16 post-war. There are few other things as well. Take the mag out, pull the slide back, engage the safety and give a good slap with your hand at the mag well. See if slide stays back or slams forward. Barrel will be numbered on the opposite side of the ejection port. If everything checks out and mag is original (-FN-) marked, for $300 you did very well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More pictures:

Watson, if I engage that safety with the slide ( I assume you mean the second notch that is useful for takedown), the slide almost immediately slams home unless I dont move my thumb/finger. Do not even need to slap the mag well.

Hopefully the proofs help determine country/contract.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Yep, very common problem with 1910 or 1922 Brownings. Those, as well as infamous Hi-Powers have the worst fitted safeties or safety-to-sear engagement right from the factory. Magazine is original (post-war) to the pistol. Try to find some Euro ammo for it. S&B, Fiocchi and few others will work better than the US-made stuff. Can't tell about the contract unless marked so. FN made a crap load of those after the War.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Yep, definitely an early post war in very nice condition. The 6 within 3 lines of a square on the various parts indicate that your pistol was assembled from parts made in the 3rd quarter of 1946. I would say that it was made in late 1946 or very early 1947. The dating system can be found in Anthony Vanderlinden's fine book "FN Browning Pistols". You should get a copy for your library. Even as a post-war pistol you got a good deal. There is no rational reason to pay 1,500.00 for a post-war FN 1922 unless it is a documented factory engraved pistol. I have two Dutch, a Yugoslavian, & an early Nazi Luftwaffe rig so I watch closing sales on this model frequently.
Dan

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Here is a website on the 1910, in which the lettering on the slide can be referenced to more or less date the piece. Your pistol (if the lettering style is the same) is definitely post WW2.

I think Anthony has dispeled that way of dating a pistol in his book. That is why he put a chart with the different number styles with lines in the book to help date post-war pistols. It holds true for all of the different models as well as FN made Mausers. The chart is only one of the many reasons you should get a copy. The information on pre-war contracts as well as the lengthy chapter on the various stages of German production in WW II is another. And you can't just own one.
Dan

Reactions: Watson99
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.