Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted in another thread on how I was planning on Re-Dragooning my 1925 Tula Fmr Dragoon. Well I got the Rear and front sight yesterday, got it put on and wondering what you all think. Now I plan on coming up with a way to mark this so that if it ever got sold it couldnt be "turned into" an all matching original dragoon, but I also think Century helped me out. It has the billboard markings on the L side of the receiver, and it has the M-91/30 markings vice M-91 plus the 9130XXXXXXX importer serial number. Would these alone be enough indicators to prevent it from being made "all original"? Im thinking about using a metal stamp and stamping FD on the side where Finnish rifles have the boxed SA to reflect Former Dragoon.

Now to the rifle itself, it is a old style stock with screwed in sling slot eschuceons(SP), I know the upper handguard and front and rear bands are incorrect, working on fixing that. If I could find a M-27 handguard this looks like it would be a close match, or even a handguard with brass/copper ends with the rivets.

What else would this rifle need to make it a good representative Dragoon?

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
I'd leave it the way it is and not stamp anything. Then I would carry my azz out to the range and shoot heck outta' it. You've done enough already without running the risk of making it a "humped " Dragoon. Enjoy and live like an Otter. Play,Play, eat, and play some more.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good. What did you have to do to change the rear sight?
the only thing I did to this is remove the front and rear sights, the rear sight base was pinned in place but slid right off with afew taps from a wood block. Im just wanting a "represenative" Dragoon, and I think this will be good enough as is.

FGD135, yep those sites were perfect, thanks alot man

IJ70 in another post someone was saying that they thought I should make it obvious that it was not original. I figured by the importers markings that alone should cover it. I dont plan on selling this one, I have others that would go up on the chopping block before this one, or like the tula/Izhevsk dual marked one I just sold. I would definately not try to pass this off as original.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I have a Swedish Mauser M96 I had my smith make up with a new old stock barrel and Husqvarna receiver, it was a fun project. I have restored a few Finn rifles & one SA Swedish Mauser Carbine(Just needed a new stock and metal) - The rifle you have is neat, but a project I would not have tackled. Seeing how my opinion is really only of value to me :) Perhaps you could have engraved/stamped on the rear sight base Restored Dragoon? That would eliminate any questions down the line when the rifle is passed down to other generations of collectors who do not know the history of the piece.

My two cents(really not worth much in todays economy...)

Pahtu.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
The import marks do not seal the deal. Vic sold a Dragoon that was recently import marked as a 91/30 and it was that way when he received it. Blade front sight and Konovolov rear sight.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm the guy that said something on the other thread and yours looks great- I would agree with Pahtu though, I think an additional markign woudl be good- not for when you dispose of it wtih its true history, but when someone else tries to sell it for what it is not, a restored dragoon. Looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about solid bands as those are very very hard to get, handguard will be as well although the idea of an M27 handguard might work.
JMG

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to say you did a really great job. I have 2 dragoons and yours looks perfect.

Mark
Thanks bro, do you have any pictures of yours?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Unless you really know how to stamp hardened stel, have the correct stamps and letter size, have the jig and fixture that hold them in line leave it. You did a nice job throw the sights in a bag with the serial number of the rifle tied to them with a zip tie or a bread tie keep them in the cabinet

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
I think the combination of the import mark and the refurb box are all the disclaimer you need. Beyond that, caveat emptor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts