Original fm 23/36
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=234787
Printed on: 09/11/2007
Topic:
Topic author: foudufoot
Subject: Original fm 23/36
Posted on: 07/01/2007 11:32:53 AM
It arrived today from Germany via Switzerland. An fm 23/36 trial target rifle in original configuration and excellent condition.
Download Attachment:
262.1 KB

This is the 69th produced out of a reported 500 (Crown Jewels pp 174-177). Dana Jones states 500 were originally produced. Swede reports he knows of 8 in original configuration and believes there were only about 100 produced. The one at the CG museum (1031), the one Steve (sbhva) "fondled"
a while back (1062), the one in Dana's book (1072), and a handful more. A number were converted to CG 63 configuration.

Characteristic features include a thumbhole, pistol-grip stock with no finger grooves. A Lyman 48(M)sight and bent blued HVA-type bolt, unnumbered:
Download Attachment:
262.47 KB

1935 dated reinforced (no-thumb cutout receiver).
Download Attachment:
167.46 KB

Download Attachment:
289.55 KB

A free-floating, unbedded, bull barrel:
Download Attachment:
174.2 KB

Download Attachment:
233.44 KB

Download Attachment:
224.28 KB

Download Attachment:
158.54 KB

and a reatractable butt plate extension.

Download Attachment:
224.3 KB

It must weigh over 12 lbs. More pics available if interested. Best, Dan

Replies:
Reply author: sbhva
Replied on: 07/02/2007 10:03:26 AM
Do you need more details on the configuration of the one I "fondled"?
Reply author: Pettson
Replied on: 07/02/2007 3:32:08 PM
Nice!
The blue bolt is a bit odd, otherwise it looks tidy to me. Are both the front and the rear sight inserts crown marked?

Pettson
Reply author: foudufoot
Replied on: 07/02/2007 6:51:42 PM
Sure Steve!
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them.

Good observation Pettson! Others on the military side have commented on the blue bolt, which appears to be a replacement 94 carbine bolt. The originals were in the white, numbered, with a CG 63 type cocking piece and a cutout shroud. This one headspaces correctly but may not be in full original condition.

I'm still thrilled to have "rescued" this rare piece, even if the bolt was replaced. I'll shoot it with my CG63 with fm23/36 receiver at the earliest opportunity. Thanks for the comments.
Dan

Reply author: LeeSpeed
Replied on: 07/02/2007 10:13:08 PM
Sacre bleu!

C'est fusil est tre bien, Monsieur Foudufoot!!

What a neat rifle and how did you get it? Did you see it on an auction and then do the BATFE import thing or did you see it first on a trip to Switzerland or something and then order it back here. Tell us the story.
Reply author: foudufoot
Replied on: 07/02/2007 11:49:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by LeeSpeed

Sacre bleu!

C'est fusil est tre bien, Monsieur Foudufoot!!

What a neat rifle and how did you get it? Did you see it on an auction and then do the BATFE import thing or did you see it first on a trip to Switzerland or something and then order it back here. Tell us the story.

Merci, mon ami!

I bought on e-gun using the buy-it now option. The German seller did not know how to ship to the US and spoke little english. My German is not good enough to explain BATF laws to him. So I contacted a dealer friend in Switzerland who agreed to transfer the gun for me. I instructed the German seller to ship to Switzerland and filed the collector BATF import form which cleared in a few weeks.

Total time from auction to door was 2.5 months. Shipping from Switzerland saved my from going through an import broker since you can mail guns from Schweiz but not Deutschland. Saved my hundreds and months for it to clear customs. Trick is find a willing Swiss dealer....
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fm23/36 range report
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=235806
Printed on: 09/11/2007
Topic:
Topic author: foudufoot
Subject: fm23/36 range report
Posted on: 07/07/2007 9:08:21 PM
Beautiful day in Philadelphia! 85 degrees and only 40% RH. So I snuck out around 3pm with the fm23/36.

Download Attachment:
199.2 KB

The Lyman was easy to sight in. I had a few rounds of PMC silver left so I shot those. Best of 5 shot groups is shown below. Why it always the last shot that you throw!?!

Download Attachment:
266.97 KB

Download Attachment:
30.74 KB

Average group radius = 0.58 MOA, maximum group radius= 0.91 MOA. I guess those Swedes knew how to make target rifles, 70 years ago....
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lovely rifle Pettson. I also have an original fm23/36(1052), but I have not fire it yet. If I do, I will post the results on this forum.

Cheers
Rogge

·
Registered
9 Posts
My rifle has trace of a unit discs on the stock. Does anybody know if that means that my rifle has belong to some infantry regiments back then? What is your opinion?

Cheers
Rogge

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Stockwood question

Which stockwood do you take this rifle to have? It is so long streaked that it cannot be walnut: see second and fourth pictures especially!

Some might say maple, but I would suppose ash. Have a Carcano ash stock looking similarly, and a m/96-63 target rifle "poor man's CG 63") with almost the same wood.

Regards,
Carcano

1 - 6 of 6 Posts