Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 1913 Carl Gustafs Stads Cg/63 was my first Swedish target rifle. When I bought it I was not aware of the fine color in the stock. I bought it mainly because of the added lower hand guard. As you can see the stock color is much different than most typical 63's. It action is also bedded and has the larger bolt knob and bent bolt. It came with the rubber mirage guard already installed and sling. It is a very accurate as well as beautiful rifle.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,137 Posts
Beautiful piece of wood !!!!

The bolt looks bent for a left-handed shooter . ( up & back )

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
Is that some kind of hood over the exposed barrel?

And how about a close up of the front globe sight? Doesn't look like the ones we normally see.

Dutchman

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The "hood" over the barrel is a rubber mirage shield. It's supposed to prevent heat mirage from the barrel interfering with your sight picture. I don't know if it works but it looks cool! I didn't take any specific photos of the front sight today, but that gives me a good reason to take more photos tomorrow!!

The bent bolt works surprisingly well for me even though I'm a righty.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The "hood" over the barrel is a rubber mirage shield. It's supposed to prevent heat mirage from the barrel interfering with your sight picture. I don't know if it works but it looks cool! I didn't take any specific photos of the front sight today, but that gives me a good reason to take more photos tomorrow!!
Sure it works. Used to have one many years back when I occasionaly was shooting smokeless powder rifles.
Regards,
ARILAR

·
Registered
221 Posts
I saw one of these when I picked out my FSR rifle at SARCO. It was sort of an elastic strap looking band that extended down and went over the front sight hood with a metal clip. The rifle it was on was sweet but I only wanted to spend the 355.00 on the rifle I hand selected. I should have burnt my credit card up that day and bought a few items, after all I live in Florida and I drove to Sterling , NJ. As it turns out the rifle it was on was purchased and posted about on this forum and Anders said it was some very rare 23/ something another. At the time I could have gotten it for like 450.00 because they had it mis-represented. Hind sight again. BTW very nice grain in the wood...Jim

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Gorgeous rifle Jimmy!

You must have one of the most beautiful collections in the US. Flight RN also has quite the target rifle collection! Regarding the hood, I know this is OT, but the Swiss actually made a hooded handguard for their 70 M target rifles. I wonder if the Swedes ever did...

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
foudufoot, thanks for the nice compliment! Dutchman below are more photos of the front sight as well as the mirage guard. There are no markings at all on the front sight. It is held on by two set screws on the bottom of the sight.

·
2,661 Posts
I don't think I've seen that particular globe target sight before. Looks alot more modern than what we're used to seeing.

Thanks for the photos!

Dutchman

·
2,661 Posts
JimmyC

I have one of those bolt bodies with the plastic ball handle. Its a swept back design that's not straight nor bent really. Well, I guess its kinda sorta bent. There's a threaded end on the bolt handle and the ball screws onto that. If you think you might be interested in it let me know. I won't do anything with it and it would bring your rifle back to what it should be for a righty.

Dutchman

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I like the feel of this rifles bolt operation. When shooting from the prone position it seems to fit me better than a standard unbent bolt?? Maybe I'm just a little bent in the opposite direction and this gets me back to level!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts