Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked if steaming a flag with multiple signatures before mounting would cause the ink to run? I know it would depend on the type of ink used. But, in general, would it be safe? My thought would be to try it on a small corner first.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,088 Posts
I have used a hot iron with a little water to remove wrinkles from flags. This has worked well for my little collection. Yes, testing a small corner of the ink would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I put mine on a towel rack in the bathroom ran the shower till it got nice and steamy all the wrinkles gone and no smeared or running ink . (DISCLAIMER) because this worked for me does not mean it ill work for you .

·
Administrator
61,159 Posts
Mrs. Curly did 2 of mine one with 1 sig and "Saipan 1944" written on it.

She used the steam iron on delicate with a towl under the flag and they turned out great.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would be careful about using a hot iron on the flag. My wife has place silk items between two towels so the iron doesn't directly touch the silk. But I have never tried to remove wrinkles from my flags.

- tge

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
My wife bought a steamer. Rarely irons anymore. I have borrowed steamer to use many times. Excellent way to remove wrinkles. One important step is to let item hang dry overnight so there's absolutely no moisture left before putting back into storage etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts