Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Japanese flag today that had a rope sewn into one entire end. The rope was probably 3/8" diameter. The flag was at least 3' by about 5', made of heavy cotton, and if I remember correctly, possibly made of several panels sewn together. No kanji, just the red meatball in the center. Seems I recall seeing a picture of one on this forum at one time, but I couldn't turn it up with thread search.

I don't have a flag book, or even know if one exists. Do any of you have a similar flag with rope sewn down one end? Just trying to figure out if it is WW2 period or not.

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeep, but no rays like the Rear Admiral flag....I know description is vague, but it is a pretty non-descript flag other than having rope sewn into one entire end and flag material is heavier than other's I've seen. I'll continue to scour the net for a similar flag.

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is pretty close to what I saw, except it is a rectangular flag instead of banner shaped like the one shown. I'm guessing it may be a navy related flag?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Signal flag maybe?

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
pretty sure this is just a regular standard (flag). The rope sewn into the flag on the side is meant to mount the flag on a pole (this is the European style of mounting, versus the US style of grommets). Unable to determine the age of such an item as that stele of mounting is still used today in many flags. The heavy cotton and two piece construction does lead me to believe it is WWII era but keep in mind that the meatball style flag was used well before and well after WWII. I have a "rising sun" flag in my collection that has the rope sewn into the edge as well as it being a multiple piece, heavy cotton construction. It is without a doubt a genuine WWII bring back and i had fought dearly (unknowingly outbidding some forum members to the death) for this flag.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
6,134 Posts
Well, what you guys casually call a "meatball flag" is the Japanese national flag just like the Stars and Stripes of the good 'ole US of A. It's called the Hinomaru flag and used since the late Edo era all the way up to now. Reinforced Hinomarus are common and were and are used on various facilities and occasions, just like the US flag.

·
Registered
568 Posts
T94nambu, That is a very nice small size multi piece hand stitch rising sun flag! Do you know what those two characters mean?

Nice!
Jim
Japaneseordnance at Yahoo.com

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T94 - thanks for posting pics. Looks like same style stitching of rope to flag that I saw. I need to go back and look for kanji near the rope end.
Edokko - no disrespect meant using the term "meatball".
Like to Collect and Long Lance - thanks for the info on pole and navy use.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Book: Imperial Japanese Good Luck Flags and One-Thousand Stitch Belts by Michael A. Bortner, DDS
ISBN: 978-0-7643-2927-2
I got my copy either off ebay, or Amazon. Nakata's books have a touch of flag info. But being in Japanese, doesn't help most of us round eyes very much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts