Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am getting an increasing number of signed flags and such, and I am curious as to what the best way to go about displaying them while at the same time properly preserving them is. One signed flag in particular has a bunch of tears in it, and the leather tabs are literally hanging on by threads. Another flag has a bunch of bullet holes in it, with lots of blood. I am most worried about these two, as I don't want to see them fall into even worse shape. Any and all opinions are welcomed, and inspiring pictures of what y'all have done would also be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
I had this one professionally mounted using UV resistant glass. It wasn't cheap and it's also important not to have the glass pressing directly onto the flag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Glass and acid free backing,it ain't cheap,but it will outlast yourself. You can go the cheap route with a plexi poster frame frome Walmart($18),but plastic and generic cardboard will prolly give off enough VOCs in a few years to erode them.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if that is the case I guess I should pick out a couple favorites, since they are so expensive to mount. I suppose the rest go back in the airtight bag. A'dogs, was the place you got yours framed local or an online business?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do you have either a Michaels or Hobby Lobby near you? They did a Civil War era original Harper's Weekly print of the Lookout Mountain battle for me,in a nice wood frame,UV glass and acid free matted for $40. We have them in lower AL,and IIRC,your in MS? You prolly have them there too.... It's hard to see in the pic,but Rob got his framed in bamboo,pretty cool for Asian theme....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Even though I live only a few miles from the Alabama,and visit it often,the avatar is the USS Texas,a near duplicate of the Arizona,on display in my birthplace of Houston. I grew up climbing all over her like a monkey,she's still me favorite battlewagon. Heres a quick shot of my Civil War print I had framed...

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and while we are on the subject of displaying stuff, what do y'all do with your helmets? I don't think that just sticking it on a shelf (like I have mine) and letting the liner bend down can be very good for it, so is getting a mannequin head the way to go?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
One school of thought is putting pressure on the leather liner can actually damage it by the weight of the steel pot. I prefer to use a small,1" or so diameter dowel on a stand,that only contacts the inner steel crown of either Japanese or German helms,and I get a Styrofoam ball,like the ones at Wallyworld used for craft projects,and push it 1/2 way down the dowel,so that when the helm or cap is set on it the foam ball pushes light pressure against the liner to keep it properly formed. The rig looks good(a milled base,dowel and foam ball cost under $10 at W.mart) and displays well.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are the two flags I am most interested in framing.

EDIT: I don't leave my stuff out like this, I just had this picture because I was showing someone some of my stuff and had it spread out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Those are PROFOUND examples Klink! Yea,they belong to the ages more than mortal you or me,they definitely need framing,even if nothing fancy or pricey,at least an oxygen/acid free environment. Do 1 at a time if needed to keep from breaking the bank. How close are you to the Gulf coast? Katrina did a number on some nice stuff from Jeff Davis's swords to common T99s in private collections. Hang them high on the wall,heh! Albacore,my Lookout Mountain print is 24"x20",with 4" of matte surround,in a real wood distressed finish frame. Had it done 5 yrs ago,not sure what they charge now. I got lucky and found the frame with a generic decoration print in it for like $15 on sale at Michaels,and had my litho matted in over it for $40 total.
You will find that thanks to the Japanese Metric system,personal flags average 66x82cm,or 26"x32",NOTHING that the western/European artists painted on canvas or posters quite fit this :tisk:! Thus a pre-fit frame is usually impossible to find. Standard movie poster frames are 24"x36" for example. my worst experience was schlepping a Hitler Youth standard into an artsy fartsy shop to have framed,only to find the framer was a descendant of a concentration camp survivor! Uncomfortable to say the least.....:p

·
Platinum Bullet Member
478 Posts
Hello Col. Klink;
Every thing everyone has mentioned is very important for the flag to remain undamaged.
Some thing else you can do is have your flag translated by some one like Michael Bortner. It was important to me because I knew the Vet. who captured the flag. In the process of the translation, Michael found a line that would likely place the flag's chronology proably somewhere between Feb.7, 1941 and May 6, 1941. The soldiers name was Yasui. Alot of neat information.
Good luck, Vaughn

" Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."
James Bovard, Civil Libertarian ( 1994 )

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts