Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a no.5 that needs a little tlc, mirror bore, shame about the vandalism !
have a cast flash hider from Apex that will need finishing, and all the other bits I need, just wondering whether to weld the holes in the receiver or plug them with set screws in case anyone might want to scope it in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
thats a real shame,,but i remember my first one back in the 70's,,i was young and dumb and didn't like the looks of the flashider,so took a hack saw to the cone and used it as a deer rifle,,lol..lol..it looks as though the wood isn't correct for it,,looks like the forarm was modified and the stock doesn't look correct either,,so to restore it you'd proably need those also ,,along with the recoil pad and mounting parts then you'd be close to back in original configuration,,but it isn't ever gonna be original again so the scope mount holes aren't really gonna make much difference,,IMO,,it comes down to how much ya wanna spend to get it back to somewhat original condition,,ya may have alot of time and money spent on something that will never be back original again ,,..i'd maybe try the flashider and maybe look for a correct stock + hardware and just shoot it ,,i still see originals out there for around 300 and up and ya wouldn't have all the work and money in something that will never be original again ,,just my opinion ..and the final decesion is up to you...
crazy

·
1,693 Posts
thats a real shame,,but i remember my first one back in the 70's,,i was young and dumb and didn't like the looks of the flashider,so took a hack saw to the cone and used it as a deer rifle,,lol..lol..it looks as though the wood isn't correct for it,,looks like the forarm was modified and the stock doesn't look correct either,,so to restore it you'd proably need those also ,,along with the recoil pad and mounting parts then you'd be close to back in original configuration,,but it isn't ever gonna be original again so the scope mount holes aren't really gonna make much difference,,IMO,,it comes down to how much ya wanna spend to get it back to somewhat original condition,,ya may have alot of time and money spent on something that will never be back original again ,,..i'd maybe try the flashider and maybe look for a correct stock + hardware and just shoot it ,,i still see originals out there for around 300 and up and ya wouldn't have all the work and money in something that will never be original again ,,just my opinion ..and the final decesion is up to you...
crazy
I think you are right on the stock. Still looks nice. I had one just like that. It was actually a great shooter and I personally like the extra "kick" of the No5s. A friend of mine put one of those I think Accumount rails on it and a scope and took a deer with it. He eventually bought it off me. Still perfectly usable. In terms of restoring it like crazy said it may or may not be worth the money and effort, that is up to you. But I would think you could get pretty close with that one, at least aesthetically for sure. Has the barrel been cut down at all?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I think numrich? has the stuff. and if you do get a No4 buttstock you can get them longer. (see the lower rifle is longer) is that a Japanese arasaka front sight? man if its already drilled and tapped you could make a cool carbine out of it. its what im doing. they do shoot. the few ive had all shot great.
we got to have a contest on the ugliest jungle carbine! heres mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a Numrich flash hider in the white, a raw casting.
Had to ream it to fit the barrel and drill it for the 2 pins, one is in a slightly different position as Bubba drilled one out and over sized the groove in the barrel. The barrel is stepped under the flash hider, machined enough out of the flash hider to be an interference fit, bashed it on and pinned it.
Bore is excellent.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.