Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just out shooting one of my '41 Tikka M91s for the first time. First four rounds, beautiful little cloverleaf. Everything normal. Fifth round felt normal and hit in the same place. I mean all under 1.5 inches. man was I excited. I figured I have another great shooting Mosin. Problem came when I went to eject the spent cartridge. It was REALLY tough to get the bolt up. Then I realized I hadn't extracted the case. No problem. I always have a good range rod. COULD NOT get it out! So I came home, put the range rod in it, and worked at it for a while. I told my son, no problem. You can fix a Mosin with a hammer. So I got out a hammer. Then a bigger hammer. Then a three pound maul! Still nothing. I ruined my range rod, and it is a really tough piece of steel. Added a steel extension and hit it some more.

It's like the steel case is welded in! Short of getting a long drill bit and drilling it out I am at a loss. That's next, but I figured I'd get a few opinions before going more drastic than a three pound hammer, lol.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have one, Matt. the case isn't broken and the primer looks normal sitting in there staring back at me. With a smirk. Lol.

Edited to add this!!! Lol, it is good to have a refurb 91-30. I stuck the bolt from it in and then hit it with the wood part of the hammer to seat it. Then used the hammer to open the bolt and hit it again to pull the bolt back. Came out slick!

So I don't have to eat crow to my son. You can always fix a Mosin with a hammer!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, cleaning and then inspecting it tonight. It looks like the Cosmoline is all gone in there but I will get out my chamber brush to be sure.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Yep, cleaning and then inspecting it tonight. It looks like the Cosmoline is all gone in there but I will get out my chamber brush to be sure.
I have a T53 that had an absolutely nasty sticky bolt problem, and it turned out to be caused by a very minor looking burr at the rear of the chamber.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleaned, inspected, cleaned again. Ran a 20 gauge bore brush though the chamber on a low speed drill, lol. Took it out and ran 20 rounds through it. Works like a champ now. I didn't find any rough spots in the chamber so I guess it's good to go. I am thinking maybe I hadn't gotten all the Finn preservative out of the chamber. At least I didn't break an extractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.