Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the right forum, but here it goes:

I bought a Cobray M11/nine "gangsta" gun. Its an ugly, cheap gun that looks like like it was made in someone's garage after they flunked shop class. They were banned by the AWB, and now that the ban is lifted the price was very low. I figured that if they become banned again I could sell it for a reasonable profit and buy something nice. I was surprised to find that the gun was totally new and unfired because I thought that they would have been snapped up during the ban simply for their noteriety.

The reliability is even worse than I expected. I've shot about 200 rounds of FMJ winchester white box, and have yet to be able to finish a magazine without at least one jam. The bolt will slam the round directly into the base of the feedramp resulting in a jam. After clearing, the round must be discarded because the bullet is noticeably driven into the case and would probably result in catastrophically dangerous overpressure if fired. Is there anything that can be done to make this dog into an actual gun. Not a good gun, just a functional gun will satisfy me.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I sold my Cobray MAC-10 to a friend. He moved to Arizona several months later, where they are not illegal to own. I got 400 bucks (for a piece of junk), which was more than what I paid for it myself. Better to get a decent M-1 carbine or a Ruger mini-14 instead...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I remember a local gunsmith grumbling about how much harder it was to fix the Cobray pistol he was working on than a quality weapon like a Luger. Really looked irritated. Perhaps someone on this board will have already de-bugged one of these guns and can let you know what to try first. You might try the automatic weapons board, as the "MAC" type guns might be better understood by that bunch -- despite the fact that your gun fires from a closed bolt and is otherwise quite different from the MAC. Personally, my experience with the design is limited to trying not to giggle when I have on occasion seen some huddle of young guys with their pants falling down excitedly checking out one of those guns at a gunshow. I literally have to walk away so I don't wind up laughing at them. We had a guy get stuffed and cuffed a few years ago while trying to dig a Tec-9 out of his duffel back in a bank parking lot. He did break the responding officer's arm in the scuffle, and he was wearing soft body armor -- but, man did he pick a stupid gun to go with that stupid plan of his. This is, in fact, a very good argument against gun control. Let those morons buy laughably impractical weapons. Please. The life you save may be your own.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Probably a magazine problem. They do wear out. See http://www.cobray.com/catalog/index.htm

If I were you I'd do a minimal fix, jigger the feed lips or buy the repair kit or a cheap aftermarket mag to at least get through one magazine. Then sell it to some gangbanger wannabe while they're all still trembling in fear of the Obamanation.

Even as the original open bolt SMGs these guns needed a LOT of work to be competitive with the other brands.

As semi-auto pistols they and the others of this type are hopeless. I recently sold an AP-9, a TEC 9 clone, because, although reliable, it was horribly inaccurate and once the plastic receiver started to crack as they always did on that model that would be the end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The magazines I have were purchased at the same time as the gun, as as far as I can tell are also brand new, so the springs should be OK. They are zytel and have the cobray logo. Even the mags look as crudely made as the gun. There isn't much of a feedramp to polish. I was hoping that the wear from the first couple hundred rounds would settle the gun in, but so far no luck. I'll go ahead and try the auto boards and see if they have advice, but I think the problem is a fundamentally poor design.

This gun was purchased only as a curio. If this is the best "gangstas" have, then we can all feel safer 'cuz these pose no threat to anyone. I have other examples of weapons that are accurate, reliable, practical, and of historical interest.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,242 Posts
Check to make sure the rubber buffer is not harded or broken. Mine shot fine when new but years later would do nothing but jam. The buffer was hard and missing pieces. Still hard to cock and impossible to aim.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You will find the M-11 a well made gun. Not real practical and hard to conceal. I got mine in 1990 for only $179.00. Never had a missfire and there is really nothing to break on the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.