Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,203 Posts
I question the originality of the stock finish ? Looks to shiny to me . Might be an indication that Bubba put the range plate back on wrong . Although , I see the range plates & decals on both ways . Probably beech ? Some times they just look to good to be true , but maybe it is legit . Hard to say for sure without having it in your hands !

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brand new leather on the sling buckle makes me wonder.............. I've seen leather from the 50's that doesn't look that good. Also,the stock has none of the "crecents" associated with beech which leads me to believe it's re-finished walnut.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,203 Posts
The sling buckle is NOT new . I have a few NOS M-94 sling buckles & they don't look like that . It may not be the original buckle that came with it , but it has some age to it . Maybe repaired , as there are 2 colors to it , the strap is darker . To be in that condition , it should have a matching floorplate , but it does not . I agree it is French walnut , as I see the dark slashes in the grain . I still think the finish is to smooth & shiny .

Attachments

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
Stock looks like it's original and kinda sorta looks like maple but I think it's light French walnut. The stock has the sheen of a well handled firearm. I don't see any indication of refinishing or Bubba.

Everything looks ok to me. Look untouched.

Except -------- the wood under where the bolt handle sits looks burned. Why?

I don't see any indication that the bolt handle is not authentic but the photos aren't that good.

Dutchman

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe that's where one can see the old oil that wouldn't bleach out? I'm no expert, but I'm suspicious. just a thought.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
I noticed the dark spot under the bolt handle too and wondered if it was a burn, but on looking closer I think it could be a knot. Look at the left side of the gun and you can see a knot right behind the bolt release. If the knot is pretty much perpendicular to the stock and long, it would show on the other side at just about the bolt handle.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Looks good to me. I agree with Dutch about the wood. French Walnut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts