Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove out to a legion hall gun show this past weekend and for $172.50 I walked out with this VZ 24 it is the first one I have owned and the construction of it is very robust to say the least , the action rivals my FN Venezuelan Mauser in smoothness. It is counter bored (didn't notice until I got home DOHH') but it does have very strong rifling. The guy I bought it from claims he bought it from a pile of them at a gun show some time back also saying he only shot Hornaday ammo though it. The only serial numbers are on the receiver bolt body and stock.The action and stock match. It appears it is a RR prefix so it is a Romanian contract gun. Circle Z's stamped on most parts. The safety toggle is stamped K. Ground off crest and broken upper sling swivel. IMO I don't think I got burnt too badly as it is definitely a very nice gun.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,190 Posts
You have a King Carol crest Romanian contract VZ24 short rifle made in 1940. Be advised that is a very dangerous rifle. I bought one like yours at a gunshow in April 2009 that inspired me to cease my inactivity and go on a four year buying spree that increased my collection by 2/3 in the last four years (which is a significant number of guns). I later replaced it with another one having a better crest.

Good price. Sling swivels are easy to find although you may have to buy the complete rear band. Try Springfield Sporters or Numrich.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You had me worried when I first read it was a dangerous gun I instantly thought oh no not another 1916 Spanish Mauser. What is the tip off to a 1940 date?
Is the bayonet pictured (right hand side) the correct bayonet for this rifle?

100_8562.jpg 100_8564.jpg 100_8565.jpg

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
It appears to be a Vz. 23 bayonet, which are a couple inches shorter than the Vz. 24 bayonets. It's also a Czech military bayonet, as evidenced by the "E (lion) 23" military acceptance marking. A Vz. 24 bayonet will be similar, but will be approximately 2 inches longer. Romanian contract bayonets will have the "CM" Romanian military acceptance mark.

So it's semi-correct, in that Vz. 23 bayonets were used with Vz. 24s. But it's not a true Vz. 24 bayonet, and not a Romanian contract bayonet.

Nice find on the rifle. The Vz. 24s are my favorite Mausers to collect. They're still relatively inexpensive, and there are numerous varieties out there. Plus, they all exhibit the top-notch Czech workmanship.

·
15,190 Posts
Nothing on the rifle has a date although the serial number and crest are indications. I covered this in detail on other threads but the short version is:

I have a bayonet and scabbard that are serial number matched to early rifles, I think BR and CR blocks. Both have a Slovak acceptance marking dated 1940. I have seen numerous others. They were first intended for Slovak use, then instead numbered for Romanian rifles. That shows the BR and CR blocks were not earlier than 1940. King Michael took the throne late in 1940 and the last of the rifles had King Michael crests. My King Michael is TR block. So your RR block King Carol would be 1940. It is possible that the first few Romanian VZ24 rifles might have been made in late 1939 and the last few in early 1941 but the vast majority were made in 1940. Romanian rifles made using year crested receivers were made in 1940 using old receivers.

Your bayonet is a VZ23 Short bayonet for the VZ98/22 rifle. Yours is marked as accepted by the Czechoslovak Army in 1923. Just about all were later sold to Turkey. Your blade length is 250mm or 9 3/4 inch. The correct VZ24 bayonet looks like that but has a 300mm or 11 3/4 inch blade. There is also a VZ23 Long bayonet for the VZ23 rifle with a 400mm or 15 3/4 inch blade. You should get a Romanian contract VZ24 bayonet. The bayonet and scabbard will have CM markings (various styles). The Romanian bayonet will have a Romanian serial number on the end of the pommel and the Romanian scabbard will have a Romanian serial number on the side edge of the frog stud. Fortunately there are a lot of Romanian bayonets around. Chances of matching your exact RR serial number are slim to none.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,190 Posts
So it's semi-correct, in that Vz. 23 bayonets were used with Vz. 24s.
I think I would say that although VZ23 Short bayonets will fit on a VZ24 rifle, they were made for and used on VZ98/22 rifles which were sold with the bayonets to Turkey. China also bought some. All had been used by the Czech Army. Later ZB made the E block of VZ98/22 rifles for Turkey which were never used by the Czechoslovak Army.

Regards,
Bill

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
An easy way to remember that Bill tipped me off to some time back: The short bayonet goes to the long rifle and the long bayonet goes to the short rifle. This formula leaves out the VZ23.

·
15,190 Posts
I think they started out with the VZ23 Short bayonet for the VZ98/22 long rifle, similar to the Sg84/98II bayonet for the G98 long rifle (which is where the VZ98/22 long rifle originated - the first block had Lange Visor rear sights). Then when they made the shorter VZ23 short rifle, they made a longer VZ23 Long bayonet for it so the overall length was the same as the earlier rifle/bayonet combination. By the time they made the VZ24 short rifle they had enough experience to know the VZ23 Long bayonet was too long for practicality, so they made the intermediate length VZ24 bayonet for the VZ24 short rifle.

This does not explain why the first bayonet was labeled VZ23 Short instead of VZ22. I think when they had only the first bayonet it had no model designation. Then when they made the second bayonet, the VZ23 Long, they named the first bayonet VZ23 Short.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh that is a little sad for me I was hoping for once I would of already had the correct bayonet. Well you can't win them all ;)

·
15,190 Posts
Ahh that is a little sad for me I was hoping for once I would of already had the correct bayonet. Well you can't win them all ;)
You do have a correct bayonet, a VZ23 Short. You just need to get a VZ98/22 long rifle to go with it.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts