Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mum is there but has two small slashes through it , has the airplane sights and the monopod. No import markings and overall a very nice clean rifle.

Now what all should be matching ? I only see a nuber on the receiver and bolt and they match.

How can i tell if the monopod is not a repro?

Where can I get a sling and bayonet?

Maker and series ?

Thanks guys, and here is a link to lots of pics.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1923478

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Kokura 21st series. Judging by the monopod screw head its a repro pod spring and bolt at least.The monopod is a repro it has a poor color match with middle band. I think this would be a serial number match type rifle.
Bolt handle, firing pin, safety, should match. Extractor may or may not.
The firing pin should be numbered on the side of the sear step.
Lets see the stock proofs. That should look like a "Chicken foot' and a small "tz"

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
Hi eckmann,
welcome to the Japanese boards.

Yours is a 21st series Kokura T 99, for those of us who gather info on these rifles, please don't block out the serial number, or if you feel you must, eliminate the last digits not the first please.

Your monopod is a repro, the nut, spring, and color give it a way. Notice how the bruises in the stock near where the pod fits do not line up either. Original don't lock up much; repros even less.

The safety will be numbered on the end of the stem when disassembled, maybe the firing pin.

Check out the 'links' sticky above for other places to learn.

Buy a book, Military Rifles of Japan is a great start; it is shown in the books link above too.

Watch the Japanese trader forum for bayonets and slings, bayonets show up more than slings. The online auctions sites have both frequently.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Agree the pod, spring, bolt and nut are repros. Your biggest challenge with be finding an original sling, which can cost as much as a rifle.

Congrats and I am sure it wont be your last!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
eckmann,
did you take the bolt apart?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congrats on your first T99. It looks mighty fine indeed. I think your mum got away with only a quick couple of strikes. It's interesting to me how much variation there is in mum defacing. Some, like yours, have the barest mark while others look like they were attacked by a rabid angle grinder with anger management issues.

Do you plan on shooting it?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
7.7 ammo

You can buy from Grafs Inc; Hornaday also loads it now, I think Sportsman's Guide sells Hornady.

Grafs' is the least expensive.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My Arisaka was the excuse I used to get into reloading. I really enjoy it and it's extra nice to be able to taylor loads to suit your needs/rifle. If you aren't interested, I'll take any brass you don't want!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.