Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally snagged a Type 14 Nambu today after a long search for one. Found it at a local gun shop with no price listed. I could see that the magazine, trigger and cocking knob matched but the dealer didn't know how to take it apart to check the rest and didn't want to attempt it. He offered it to me for 450$ and I decided to roll the dice at that price. It appears I rolled well since after carefully disassembling it at home all parts match. It has some light pitting under the grips and some wear at the muzzle but its in pretty good condition(in my opinion) and has the "been there done that" look that I like to see on my milsurps. After consulting James Brown's book, it looks like I've got a Nambu rifle company(Nagoya) original series Type 14 made in July 1940, I would appreciate any other info I've missed, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm already hopelessly addicted, I tracked down holsters,cleaning rods, bayonets and slings for all my WW2 Milsurps. Don't think I will spring for any original ammo but I do have some modern stuff ordered already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Be careful with pci ammo. It is loaded long and tend to jam up my type 14s.. may work fine in yours but I could not get more than one or two shots off at a time. Ended up pulling the bullet and reloading it myself. Fun guns to shoot. . When they wanna shoot. Also make sure you don't dry fire it. The firing pins can be fragile. It's a nambu kokubunji factory gun.. I like the transitional grips with less lines. Do they match? Wolff makes new springs if you wanna go that route. Magazine springs are a tad bit tough to replace. And you will find the magazine sticks a little when the bolt is pulled back on an empty chamber. Don schlickman makes excellent repro parts. .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be careful with pci ammo. It is loaded long and tend to jam up my type 14s.. may work fine in yours but I could not get more than one or two shots off at a time. Ended up pulling the bullet and reloading it myself. Fun guns to shoot. . When they wanna shoot. Also make sure you don't dry fire it. The firing pins can be fragile. It's a nambu kokubunji factory gun.. I like the transitional grips with less lines. Do they match? Wolff makes new springs if you wanna go that route. Magazine springs are a tad bit tough to replace. And you will find the magazine sticks a little when the bolt is pulled back on an empty chamber. Don schlickman makes excellent repro parts. .

Thanks for the info. I had looked at PCI ammo but hadn't ordered yet, was leaning towards Buffalo Bore though. I already bought some azoom dummy rounds due to the dry fire issue and yes, the grips match, the serial number is written on the back of both grips with what looks like a pencil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh very nice! Gun broker ammo tends to be expensive. Mr. Nambu makes good quality ammo on par price wise with other companies. He lists on gun broker but you can visit and buy direct as he has flat rate prices. I haven't heard anything about buffalo ammo good or bad but they are always sold out so that must be a good thing....

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know if you just want a couple original rounds that last time I checked liberty tree collectors has 5 round lots for sale (I think for $30). I dont know if that is a terrible price or not just passing along the info

·
Administrator
3,265 Posts
I have always liked the Nambu, when you shoot it, it is very light, like a souped up 32 ACP in a luger sized gun :)

I still have some repro holsters and cleaning rods from my friend, but if like me, I prefer period items.

Ed

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Matching #s are always the best. Nice T 14. I've found enough original 8mm rounds (loose) at gun shows cheap because they didn't know what they were. Eventually I had enough early and late to fill a couple of mags for display.

·
Registered
361 Posts
realistically you them expect to pay between 50 and 60 dollars for a box of ammo. If you save the brass, Mr Nambu will reload them for a nominal fee. Really a good deal if you think about it.
Mr. Nambu is either out of the business, or his email isn't working. I've emailed him 3 separate times over the past 3 years, and never heard back from him! A bit disappointed, I must say. I'd go ahead and buy the dies from RCBS and do the reloads yourself - remember that overall cartridge length is crucial, especially for the 8x22 round - any shorter than a certain length (31.6mm in my case), and you'll have failures to chamber like none other! Edokko provided me the factory measures a while back, and the overall length as specified was 32mm. I load at about 31.84 mm to split the difference, but the piece still does not feed smoothly 100% of the time.

Nice Alaskan trigger piece, Were there different width triggers used? I have a T-14 but the trigger guard is wider than the pistol and sticks out from the frame; comments?????
I found a Nagoya Nambu 4 serial numbers off of mine, and the trigger guard was much wider/thicker than mine (and looked a little funky, in my opinion) - goes to show the extent of hand fitting and vast differences in each Nambu even manufactured the same day or in the same production run. It shouldn't "stick out of the frame" though, not sure what you mean.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually mr. Nambu is alive and kicking and in business. I thought the same thing a month ago when I bought some 303 brass. But he shipped it with apologies on the delayed response and by the time the email went through the brass had arrived. Hopefully he gets back to you as well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,768 Posts
The horizontal top of the Alaskan trigger guard frame is wider than the rest of the pistol...matching numbers, just a 1/16th inch lip on both sides.

As an aside I broke out the Harley today...would it be legal to put a rifle holster on the side of it to go out to the range (ala Arni and his shotgun in Terminator 2)?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Actually mr. Nambu is alive and kicking and in business. I thought the same thing a month ago when I bought some 303 brass. But he shipped it with apologies on the delayed response and by the time the email went through the brass had arrived. Hopefully he gets back to you as well.
I'm not buying this. Any seller who doesn't show the simple courtesy of replying to emails with prospective sales is a major red flag, regardless of who I'm doing business with. If Mr. Nambu is still in business, then he'd act like he's in business. If he can't return 3 separate emails (wanting to buy brass and ammo) from 3 separate years, then the man's either hospitalized, with the Lord, or doing his own thing!

Kind of reminds me of the guy that some of you could never get your stocks back from, after sending them to be refinished. It's appalling to see that there are multiple such people who cannot do business or correspondence in a timely manner without having disgruntled buyers, in this Japanese collectors' "industry".

Come around and say "Hello", Mr. Nambu, if you're still around!

·
Registered
147 Posts
No I totally understand. I was originally concerned because after I bought my brass his auctions disappeared off gun broker. But he has always provided good service in the past. He has auctions up right now including nambu ammo. But business is business so I get it. Yeah I had heard about the stock issue as well with the other guy. You never know sometimes. It's kind of like dealing with springfield sporters. They request your email address yet the only possible way of contacting them is by phone which in my experience is rarely answered. Last time I bought parts I had to tally up what I bought then add what I thought was appropriate shipping. F****** archaic. Not saying you have to have a full blown shopping cart but at least have a way of potential customers contacting you for product inquiries. Anyway I am rambling now..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah he may be a one man show so with the unusual stuff he offers may get overwhelmed at times. At least he got back to you..I bought 13 rounds of 7.5 swiss two months ago from a guy on gun broker. Still waiting on that jagoff to send it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.