Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took my only 98k out for the first time. Its a CE 43 RC with a strong bore.

Shot at 100 yds and did ok considering I am a novice rifle shooter. Gun was very smooth and I actually think this is my favorite shooter (I'm a Mosin guy).

But I do have 1 issue and that occurs when feeding a new round into the chamber. If I use a longer bullet, like MM 8mm Mauser, they will not feed. The bullet gets 50% to 60% in the chamber and gets stuck on an angle. Further force on the bolt simply puts a bigger scrape in the side of the casing. So, I bought Remington soft point bullets and I can feed them fine about 80% of the time. However, this issue did occur at least once.

Is this an issue with the mag spring? Or the bolt? I'm a lefty, so not sure if I'm puting an unusual angle on the bolt as I slinde forward?

I have a number of milsurps and this is the first time I've encountered a problem like this. Any advice would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance,

CBanker101

·
Registered
All of them
1,613 Posts
feeding

It could simply be that the bullets are not pushed all the way against the back of the magazine, happens easily if you're not feeding with a stripper clip, will cause the bullet to jam in about the orientation you're talking about, I don't know, could be something else I guess. I've always had trouble feeding the short noses, never with the long ones...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I'll play around with that. Hope that's it.

I just got done cleaning it and to my surprise, I was really able to brighten up the bore. I think shooting it loosened up some of the crud. One or two more times like this, I should have only very light frosting, if not shinny.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
check the extractor, if shes burred, the base of the round wont feed as straight. or the mag spring,,,but most of the issues Ive had feeding are the lip of the round wont catch right away and shoves the base down making a angle.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried loading / feeding that FMJ ammo after putting them all the way back. Seems to work a lot better. The other thing is that if I operate the bolt very slow, they seem to jam on that angle. But if I operate the bolt as one usally would, it seems to be near flawless.

So, I just ordered 2 spam cans of 8mm Mauser from Aim... Anyone here shoot that yet? I think its 70's Romanian surp. Am I to assume these are corrosive?

Also bought some caputure screws. Now just need a sight hood and cleaning rod and should be all set.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
the Romanian is OK for plinking. low felt recoil, sure fire. the bad? sooty, and i didn't like the longer range performance at 150+. good ammo for the money if you don't reload.
CB, see 'Mauser fit and fair' post. im on the feeding part now. don't wanna double post tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.