Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to shoot my Mod 46 9.xx57 today. The 286gr Privi bullets were hitting about 2.5" high at 50 yards. Groups were ok considering I had shot some heavy recoiling rifles, ie ,405Win, 45-50 and a couple of 375H&H Mags prior to shooting it. By that time I was getting a bit tender in the shoulder but still manage some groups about 1.5-l.75" I think I am at the point where a pair of dedicated shooting glasses would be a great help if I am to continue shooting iron sights.

I did pick up some nice comments at the range about appearance, one young man saying he would like something like it to pass on to future grandkids.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got mine for moose/bear here in BC-typically thick country and under 100 yard shots.I guess you guys have pigs down there-I would think the 286gr privipartizans would be ideal for that.I happen to be of the opinion they are about the best of workmanship you could find in a milsurp-I was first introduced to the 6.5x55 swede about 30 years ago and last year found out about the 9,3x57.Bought one-then another[it had a norma peep sight I couldn't resist] and then another[somebody bubba'd the bolt on an otherwise rifle in excellent conditon with a pristeen bore,and I thought I could could fix it-a little work paid off -it came out nice]I think these swedes represent about the best value you can find in hunting rifles today,especially when you clean them up, steam out the dings and put a coat of oil on the stocks[they often have very nice wood]-I'm in the process of convincing my wife I ''need'' another 6.5-[for my boy,of course] It's catching.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to have one in 6.5. I handled this 9.3 much as you said, steamed one or two minor dents. There was a minor crack or split in the toe plate where the grain gets very pretty. I used some good cyanoacrylate glue and fixed that quickly. I then gave it a couple of applications of my oil/wax mix and stock looks like something that comes on an expensive custom rifle, I got lucky with this one. There was an area of shallow rust pits near muzzle, and blueing had been rubbed off, I used some fine w/d sandpaper 400-600-1500 grit and a quick touch on buffing wheel then some Brownells 44 blueing gel and it matched almost perfectly. I agree, these are one of the best sporter values out there. I would like a small scope, but this one is pristine, not drilled and tapped and I think I shall leave it original, a new scope and mounts just would not match the 80 years of patina that have developed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the 6.5x55 swede is a heck of a caliber-low recoil,accurate and with 160gr bullets, near the top of the charts for sectional denisity-very efficient and lethal,far more so than a cursory look would make you think. I have just used regular ''Century''139 gr shells to drop over 30 blacktails and a couple of black bears-both hit broadside on the point of the shoulder and they were down and immobalized.None of the deer went more than 20 yards.Maybe I just shoot more accurately with less recoil,I don't know.I only went to the 9.3x57 because I am hunting moose in grizzly country-wanted a bit more thump-and I suspect a 286 gr privipartizan softnosed bullet loafing along around 2000 fps will be a force to be reckoned with for anything that walks in North America.Beside-I just like the quality and workmanship in the swedes-and the stocks are often fine hardwood too that a bit of work brings up really nice...and you can get all that for a rifle under $300....top it with a nice 4 or 6 x fixed power leopold and you'd be hard pressed to get a better hunting rig .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. I am familar with the 6.5, having 4 of the standard M 96 and one M 38. I just do not want to bubba a nice collectable M 96 and would like to find a M46 in 6.5 but have not seen any but will keep my eyes open. Recoil with the 9.3 is not bad but is more than the 6.5. I like the 6.5 so much I am considering building a upper unit for my Colt sporter in 6.5 grendel

·
Registered
209 Posts
Except for the first one I got 30 years ago[that wasn't considered to be a ''bad'' thing then] all mine were already''sporterized'' .I deal with tradex in Canada-they have a great selection of swedes[6.5x55, 8x57,9,3x57,9,3x62],but unfortionately with both of our governments myopic ''concern''[read vote getting] over hunters and target shooters aquisition of firearms and ammunition-even scopes now-cross border shopping has all but dried up[but hey-they got elected didn't they?].

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Except for the first one I got 30 years ago[that wasn't considered to be a ''bad'' thing then] all mine were already''sporterized'' .I deal with tradex in Canada-they have a great selection of swedes[6.5x55, 8x57,9,3x57,9,3x62],but unfortionately with both of our governments myopic ''concern''[read vote getting] over hunters and target shooters aquisition of firearms and ammunition-even scopes now-cross border shopping has all but dried up[but hey-they got elected didn't they?].

Yes, especially when you consider we have more common interests than any other two countries. What do they do at some of those remote unmanned border crossings that work on the honor system ? I saw something about those on the news a couple of years ago, seems like the person crossing is supposed to stop and call in on a phone.

Even with the way our politicians, and probably yours have screw things up I still would rather have a country like Canada on our southern border than what we have!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
U.S. Suppliers

'
Try Alan's Armoury in the U.S. He gets similar rifles to the ones at Trade-Ex.

The Swedes are probably the best kept secret for a used hunting rifle today. Great workmanship, very good prices, and a bit of chosing can get you some pristine models.

There are some "brand" names available such as Husqvarna, Stiga, Falun, etc.

So far, from Trade Ex, I have bought 2 6.5 target rifles, a 6.5 full stock Husqvarna carbine, a 8x57 Husqvarna, a 9.3 Husqvarna, and a Stiga 30-06. None of them have cost me more than $250 each.

The older Weaver K 2.5 and K 3 scopes fit on top of the hunting rifles nicely, and look sort of "period" like.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
'
Try Alan's Armoury in the U.S. He gets similar rifles to the ones at Trade-Ex.

The Swedes are probably the best kept secret for a used hunting rifle today. Great workmanship, very good prices, and a bit of chosing can get you some pristine models.

There are some "brand" names available such as Husqvarna, Stiga, Falun, etc.

So far, from Trade Ex, I have bought 2 6.5 target rifles, a 6.5 full stock Husqvarna carbine, a 8x57 Husqvarna, a 9.3 Husqvarna, and a Stiga 30-06. None of them have cost me more than $250 each.

The older Weaver K 2.5 and K 3 scopes fit on top of the hunting rifles nicely, and look sort of "period" like.
That's where I got my Husky sporter, and 3 M 96's. I have not seen any 6.5mm sporters and have been following his website for several years now. I have been holding out for one of the earlier models. He has some mod 1600's listed but they are a bit high.

·
Registered
864 Posts
ratherbefishing - I'm running my 286gr. Privi's at 2,200fps. currently, with 232's at 2,450fps. The 232's are zero'd at 200 yards to the crosshairs, and the 286's run dead on at 200 with the post of the reticle.

I shot a moose last fall - large bull calf with a 270gr. Speer- initial vel. 2,300fps. The moose was approx. 200 yards away - elbow rest off the truck's hood - easy shot with the factory irons, rear sight filed into an express sight shape. I reallyliek my 9.3x57.

Just got my 9.3x62 barreled action back after many years missing. Long story. Bore's great, outside and action is a bit rusted in spots. it needs a total re-finish with grinding, etc for the pits. I'm going to leave it and use it only for a guide gun. That particular 9.3x62 runs 286's out at 2,519fps and loves them. 1 1/4" with iron sights. 270's run 2,675fps, but that's too high a velocity for that bullet, I think.

These old Swedes are really great deals.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My rifle has a .370" groove diameter, with standard .358" bore. It also ahs a .019" over length body.

I first re-sized .375" 300gr. bullets to .367". That is the largest size my chamber's neck will allow, so the bullets are .003 undersize, overall.
I worked up to 45gr. H4895 with the drawn .375" 300gr. RN to 2,175fps. The same load gives 2,200fps with the Privi's and excellent accuracy, even thought they are .004" or .005" undersize.
These loads expand the web of the case by .0005" (1/2 thou). I consider them maximum only due to they are producing enough velocity for the case and action, to suit me.

The previous thread about loading the 9.3x57 gives most of the data I developed so far. The measurements on expansion I quoted above are just a guess in memory - they are very close. The necks expanded only 1/2 thou to 1 thou, I think. Can't remember.

I think H4895 is the best powder for this case with all bullet weights and BLC2 (non Extreme powder) in a ball powder also works well - a warm weather powder. I use CCI 200, WLR or CCI 250's - whatever's handy - no difference in ballistics noted between any of them when using H4895. I am prone to using CCI 250's for any ball powders.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Daryl, when you get .0005" expansion on the case web, what did you use as a starting point or baseline?

I got my 9.3x57 load up to 2100 fps with a 270 gr speer, and rationalised that this was close to factory specs pressure-wise. I used the average reading for 3 of those fired cases as my baseline, and continued working up the load from there. Does that seem reasonable to you? Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sounds good to me. My baseline was factory brass (8mm mauser) measurement, full length sized. My chamber is a tight one, obviously, as many chambers allow for .005" to .007" expansion at the web with normal loads. Same goes for neck expansion, which is restricted to only .0015" in my chamber with .367" bullets. My loads expand the necks less than .001" normally - with once fired brass. I was amazed at the velocities I was getting with what appeared to be low pressure. We went through this a while back, right here at gunboards.

When you look at all the signs, extraction stiffness(which you NEVER want to see with a M94 action) neck and web expansion, rim expansion, case longevity, primer appearance, velocity climbs and leveling out with powder increases - most of them need to be observed to come to any sort of rough guess on pressure. The primers I used for my loads, both WLR and CCI 200's and 250's all show el-zippo (low) pressure as do the case measurements. As to longevity, well, that's well into the future for this brass.

The make of brass is very important. Friend Karl sent me a box of new Gevelot 9.3x57 brass that has very much thicker necks than the opened up 8x57 RP brass I was using. Too, the Gevelot brass has a lower case capacity. My loads will produce higher speeds and pressures if assembled in Gev. or perhaps any other brass. You cannot mix brass makes- old rules, I know, but need to be repeated from time to time.

The trouble with trying to match 'factory' speeds to ensure same pressure doesn't pan out today with some of our powders. It is possible with today's powders to exceed original speeds at lower pressures than the original loads. BLC2 and H4895 seem to do this, as will H335. The powders available when the round was developed were not as sophisticated as the powders today. They were not as stable in temperature, nor in pressure or velocity production. Another expample is the .45/70 of yesteryear, compared to today. Old data 1,320fps with 405gr. Today, with today's powders we can increase the velocity with that bullet weight to around 1,700fps at the SAME pressure - a 22% increase. I'm not saying we can increase the 9.3x57 by 22% - we can't - more like 7% - but, we can make a meaningful increase - if we feel it's necessary - or we want it for reasons of trajectory, penetration, accuracy or whatever.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just picked up another Mod 96 , 1904 vintage last week at a gun show. Excellent metal and attractive wood exp through receiver area, and in very good shape there, only minor dents, no gouges or bad scratches. Show was so crowded on Sat that it was unenjoyable but Sun morning my wife said we should go back and pick up one, so another trip. As for a sporter if I run across one that looks good, may try to grab it. I would like one in 6.5.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Interesting discussion.

My "standard" load for my 146 with the 285 Prvi runs 2125 fps. Primers are rounded and there is always a bit of soot on the necks of cases, in summer or winter, new cases or old. Accuracy is very good.

My 146 has a .369 groove depth barrel and a neck that allows release of .370-.371 bullets with resized Remington 8x57 cases.

My 46 has a groove depth of .367 and I load that one using the same 2230C military powder a grain less than for my 146, with velocities running about 2070 fps and also excellent accuracy. This constitutes a "factory load equivalent" and has performed well on two bear shot with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.