Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello gentlemen,
I've been working 12 hour shifts to save up funds for my first m1 Garand from the CMP, but I don't know if I should get their Service Grade SA/HRA or their Field Grade SA/HRA. I'm not wanting a pristine condition safe queen, but one that I can shoot and enjoy...so should I spend the extra $100 for the service grade or just go with the Field Grade??? I cannot wait until I can get one of these great firearms! Thanks for your advice in advance, fellas!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get the service grade. I have purchased both and the service grade is head and shoulders above the field grade in stock finish and in muzzle and throat wear conditions. The service grade rifles I got had throat and muzzle numbers ranging from 1T--2M to 2T-3M, and the stocks appeared to range from new fresh wood to slightly used. The field grade rifles had stocks that were fairly beat up and the throat and muzzle numbers were in the 3+T-4+M ranges. It is my opinion that the $100 addditional is well spent, especially if you want a shooter that you won't feel bad using.

·
Registered
743 Posts
IlDuce - I definitely second the recommendation to get a service grade. Recently, my son and nephew have both received HRA service grades that were well above the CMP description. The stocks were new repro birch, but of high quality. Exterior metal and bores looked new on both. Some the parts were SA marked; a "so what" at the price.

·
Silver Bulet Member
934 Posts
Personally I bought the service grade. Went to CMP south and viewed the weapons they had in the racks. I bought the Winchester Service grade when they were available.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm as cheap as they come, but must also recommend the SG rifles. Field Grade Garands will function OK, but there are occasional dogs in that class. You could find a FG diamond-in-the-rough if you can pick out your M-1 in person at one of CMP's stores. You are highly unlikely to get lucky doing a mail order Field Grade. They used to be called Rack Grades .............................

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Go for a Service Grade! You get a very nice rifle. My Springfield came in January (22 days total) and dates to December of '42. It has a SA bolt and barrel (12/55) that rates a 1+M/2+T. All other parts and stock are HRA, and there was very little cosmoline.

PM

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice rig Plymouth. If your hangtag said 1+ and 2+, it probably gages a little better than that. The CMP armorers tend to gage a little heavy( I think purposely to make sure the customer is happy). Last time I was at the North store, every rifle I checked gaged a little better than the hangtag numbers.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Nice rig Plymouth. If your hangtag said 1+ and 2+, it probably gages a little better than that. The CMP armorers tend to gage a little heavy( I think purposely to make sure the customer is happy). Last time I was at the North store, every rifle I checked gaged a little better than the hangtag numbers.
Good to know! I'd actually like to know the actual readings...

as received...

PM

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plymouth, that rifle is beautiful! Hoping the overtime keeps up at work so I can get one, instead of dreaming about them!

Thanks again, guys, for your help!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Got a service grade from CMP a couple or weeks ago. I just about always opt to purchase the best grade I can afford. I would second the advice to wait for the SG.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,427 Posts
I just received a SG HRA 4.7M, TE-2 MW-1. HRA Stock and all parts except bolt and trigger group. She's beautiful.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
When I bought my Danish Garand at the North Store in 2003, it had a hang tag that read 1T, 0+M. If THAT was gauged heavy, I wonder what it REALLY measured.

If you live ANYWHERE NEAR one of the CMP stores, or have occasion to be in their vicinity (on vacation or whatever), I HIGHLY recommend going to the store and picking your rifle out there. It is like a candy store! You also can also take the rifle with you (unless maybe you live in some waiting period hellhole like California).

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Go with the Service Grade.

Better yet - pick one out for yourself at Camp Butner, NC next year when they have the Eastern Games. Just missed this year's match.

Hand pick is worth the xrta drive. Shoot in a match. Take the kids and wife.

P.S. - The AK will seem like a toy after you shoot an M1 Garand. I like both, but the Garand is much dearer to the heart.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have two, a service grade Springfield and a field grade Winchester. The service grade looks like new, has a reproduction CMP stock, what could pass as an unfired bore, and is mint mint mint. All SA parts but the bolt.

The Winchester, as a field grade, is quite excellent. In fact, it could pass as a service grade! Mostly Winchester parts less the trigger assembly and barrel, very nice USGI wood, excellent bore. It was a jackpot for a field grade. Either way you'll be getting a nice rifle. OR- buy one of each like I did :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go with Service Grade. I got my SA M1 from CMP via their online store about a month ago. The reciever dates to March, 1944. The stock was really scummy/dirty, but cleaned up really nice with Goop hand cleaner and extra fine steel wool. I finished it off with Scotts Liquid Gold and it now looks excellent. I took it out to the range and it is extremely accurate. I am really happy with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When I bought my Danish Garand at the North Store in 2003, it had a hang tag that read 1T, 0+M. If THAT was gauged heavy, I wonder what it REALLY measured.

When I bought my last SG at the North store, I actually put back on the rack a HRA that had 0 me and 1 te because it had more SA parts than I wanted. Counter guy that was helping me said the only way to get a 0 me was if it was one of the last barrels made before that bore tooling was scrapped for wear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.