Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had to pull the trigger on this one, I know it has issues, refinished stock, notch cut in for the scope, modern scope and of course the buttpad, but overall I really liked this one, bluing looks good, parts are all there from what I can see, rifling is excellent, action is very smooth, no rust or corrosion and no import marks that I have found. I just don't see these in the wild by me and I got it for a shooter price, wondering if the mount is a repro or real, I can't find any markings on it. Any other observations good or bad? I haven't had a chance to study on these as much as I usually like to before I buy something so I took kind of a gamble. Hope I didn't get hosed.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
It does look to be refinished, at least the wood.

The butt pad and scope has to go (IMHO). I believe the muzzle brake is the early type.

There are more learned folks than me on this forum.

Wait to here from Ole Relic.

While I like the rifle, It does seem to be "reconditioned" in the worse possible way.

Wendell

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I would guess (an uneducated guess at that) the SVT is worth $600.00 to $700.00.

I may be wayyyyyy off.
The bottom line is , you being pleased with it.

Wendell

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the late muzzle break, appreciate the input but I don't know if I would say it is refinished in the worst way. I have seen a lot worse than this one. Bad gas systems bad bores, this one the mechanics seem great. The scope and mount come off so I am only stuck with a open cut for the mount and the refinished stock isn't as bad as lot of others I have seen, It looks like the buttpad was screwed into the original holes so a replacement can be screwed right in. It doesn't seem to me that it would take a lot to get it right.

It does look to be refinished, at least the wood.

The butt pad and scope has to go (IMHO). I believe the muzzle brake is the early type.

There are more learned folks than me on this forum.

Wait to here from Ole Relic.

While I like the rifle, It does seem to be "reconditioned" in the worse possible way.

Wendell

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
These are getting tough to find. I think you did fine up to maybe as much as $750 in today's prices if everything is good.
You can refinish the stock, I think,, by simply using amber shellac over what is on there, if the color looks like a red refurb.
I can't see what they did to mount that scope. The buttplate situation looks easily solved.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a fresh notch in the receiver where the pin from the mount goes, nothing else, not drilled or tapped or anything. Any ideas on the mount if it is a repro or not? Looks like I can get a whole stock set with buttplate for a little over $100 if I want to swap it out.

These are getting tough to find. I think you did fine up to maybe as much as $750 in today's prices if everything is good.
You can refinish the stock, I think,, by simply using amber shellac over what is on there, if the color looks like a red refurb.
I can't see what they did to mount that scope. The buttplate situation looks easily solved.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,565 Posts
Congrats. Repro mount. How does she shoot. take her out and give her TLC. Have you opened the gas port.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
figured that on the mount, what can I get for it? Just got it today haven't shot it, learned how to take it all apart, the entire system is clean and in great shape rifling is excellent it should be a great shooter. the dealer I got it from seemed pretty honest, I have bought from him before I asked if he shot it he said he did and he shot some before he didn't like but this one was a good shooter. I will find out this week!

Congrats. Repro mount. How does she shoot. take her out and give her TLC. Have you opened the gas port.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it to the range, it did pretty good. Just wanted to put it through the works so I went to the indoor range with the target as far back as it would go. Shot off hand wasnt' even concentrating on accuracy, I figured I was all over the place, not as bad as I thought for not trying. Only got 14 rounds off before I got called back to work. I did notice a feed problem with the rounds coming out of the magazine, the nose would keep getting caught on the top edge of the mag. I was using the commercial Tula ammo, it seems it is more pointed than my soviet surplus, will try original ammo next time to see if that works. There was also one expelled case that jammed the bolt, it was sitting perpendicular to the rifle keeping the bolt from closing. Don't know if that is a sign of anything or not. Overall I am very very happy with it as the shooter I bought it to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts