Gunboards Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
First posting. I am also a fan of Milsurp world podcast.. it's the only one I've found just about Milsurps... It does make a long commute go quicker. My first Milsurp was one my Dad purchased in 1964. Quality Hardware M1 Carbine. Used to love shooting that as a kid, and I still do today. It's something i would never part with. Just took it to the range with another one of its relatives.... and check out the original price tag!

Garand_and_carbine.jpg

carbine_invoice.jpg

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Welcome on gunboards, dsd13!!!

Great rifles and that price tag.... Oh well, the good old days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Technically, my first "Milsurp" working gun I owned is the old M1 Garand. The back story is about my dad. He was in the Navy during WW2 towards the end of the war (Battle of Leyte Gulf, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, etc.) and when the surrender took place he was in Tokyo bay and then put on occupation duty onshore. He told me there was a BIG pile of rifles (Arisaka Model 99's) and another BIG pile of bayonets. Each sailor was allowed to get one of each and ship it home. Fast forward to my childhood in the 60's and beyond....that rifle and bayonet hung over our TV my whole life, my dad refinished the wood and painted the barrel so it "looked nice". Over those years my mom told us that she didn't like the rifle in the house and said that my dad, who was a former Gunner's Mate, had filed down the firing pin. I thought nothing of it and often took it off the wall and played with it outside as we played "Army" and other war related stuff. My dad passed in 2010 and I decided to take the rifle and bayonet home with me, thinking I would just hang it on the wall. I did some research and found out what type of rifle it was, looked at the markings to determine the manufacturer and year. The more I looked into it the more interested I got into WW2 rifles. It was then I went through the CMP and got my M1. I took the Arisaka apart completely, cleaned it and took the bolt apart...low and behold the firing pin was completely intact! (way to go dad!). I thoroughly cleaned it, found some ammo online, took it to the range and fired it. Worked perfectly. I brought both guns to the range that day but fired the Arisaka first....since then I managed to acquire an Enfield, Mauser, Mossin Nagant, Carcano and a Chinese SKS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first was a P38. Seem to remember it was 1942 vintage. All matching, holster and two magazines in great condition for a princely $150 at a local pawn shop. Kept it for years and sold it to my mechanic for $500. Visualizing kicking my posterior.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First was a Schmidt Ruben 1911. Purchased from Montgomery Wards for $9.49 in1964. I still have the rifle and shoot it often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first was a Lee Enfield No.1 mk III* sporter purchased in the early 1960s from a Montana "Coast to Coast" hardware store for $15 when I was still in high school. Served me well as a deer rifle for a number of years.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
Technically, my first "Milsurp" working gun I owned is the old M1 Garand. The back story is about my dad. He was in the Navy during WW2 towards the end of the war (Battle of Leyte Gulf, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, etc.) and when the surrender took place he was in Tokyo bay and then put on occupation duty onshore. He told me there was a BIG pile of rifles (Arisaka Model 99's) and another BIG pile of bayonets. Each sailor was allowed to get one of each and ship it home. Fast forward to my childhood in the 60's and beyond....that rifle and bayonet hung over our TV my whole life, my dad refinished the wood and painted the barrel so it "looked nice". Over those years my mom told us that she didn't like the rifle in the house and said that my dad, who was a former Gunner's Mate, had filed down the firing pin. I thought nothing of it and often took it off the wall and played with it outside as we played "Army" and other war related stuff. My dad passed in 2010 and I decided to take the rifle and bayonet home with me, thinking I would just hang it on the wall. I did some research and found out what type of rifle it was, looked at the markings to determine the manufacturer and year. The more I looked into it the more interested I got into WW2 rifles. It was then I went through the CMP and got my M1. I took the Arisaka apart completely, cleaned it and took the bolt apart...low and behold the firing pin was completely intact! (way to go dad!). I thoroughly cleaned it, found some ammo online, took it to the range and fired it. Worked perfectly. I brought both guns to the range that day but fired the Arisaka first....since then I managed to acquire an Enfield, Mauser, Mossin Nagant, Carcano and a Chinese SKS.
Great story!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
First posting. I am also a fan of Milsurp world podcast.. it's the only one I've found just about Milsurps... It does make a long commute go quicker. My first Milsurp was one my Dad purchased in 1964. Quality Hardware M1 Carbine. Used to love shooting that as a kid, and I still do today. It's something i would never part with. Just took it to the range with another one of its relatives.... and check out the original price tag!

View attachment 3695739
Very nice! Worth about 60x (or more) as much today (not adjusted for inflation). Welcome to Gunboards!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What was your first milsurp firearm? Do you still have it for sentimental value or is it valuable in other senses as well?
I have all the guns I've ever bought. Once they come in, they don't go out. And I shoot them all. Well, all except my unissued 1952 Polish M44.

My first was a 1944 Enfield #4. A Maltby, with 5-groove barrel.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
LOL! Reread this thread and have come to the conclusion that most all y'all still have your first gun! And most of the ones thereafter. Good thing there's been guys like me that actually buy, sell and trade so others can get the cool stuff too. Some of the guys that have saved them all are in a position to cash in large with today's thirsty market for just about everything ever made. That's a beautiful thing that hasn't the case since the late '50's when my gramps changed my life forever with that M1 para carbine. I sorta regret selling/trading lots of stuff when I see what they bring today but I never would have been able to handle/shoot all the different guns that have been thru my greedy mitts. Nor would I have been able to go where few get to go, thru the locked doors of some of the finest gentlemen collectors with to die for treasures. I've watched their collections get dispersed at auction over the years and don't feel any regret. The thing is that hardly anyone does the multiple gun trading any more, or maybe really never did, I suppose, where a good bunch of guns of all types were swapped for another bunch (or maybe one or two even) to change out the stuff that was slow with a guy that had stuff that was slow where he lived. Throw in some prime Winchesters, Colts, Brownings etc,etc, and there was some high end play going on. What fun!! Where did all those guys go??
And all because of an M1 Para Carbine and my Old Gramps. Still miss that old gun swapping scoundrel.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,277 Posts
Highrider, I can relate. I've bought quite a few over the years, and have sold off quite a few of them. Many times I studied them a bit and educated myself on nuances and details before passing them along. I couldn't keep acquiring if I did not replenish the funding. Sure, there are some I regret selling, but overall I am more satisfied knowing that there is a much greater understanding and appreciation out there today, and that when I send something to another collector, it will be appreciated and preserved (and probably fired more than I could ever find time to do...).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first milsurp (and only) rifle is B-barrel M39 Ukko-Pekka. Good rifle with good character and good shooter too.

b barrel.jpg ukkopekka.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
First Milsurp was a Nambu that my grandfather brought back from the South Pacific. He had 3 sons. One got an officers saber, one an Arisaka, and my dad got the Nambu with the holster. The other two items are long gone, but my dad kept the Nambu packed in cosmoline forever and finally gave it to me. It is 100% matching, but the primary mag and spare firing pin were gone. The spare mag matches, but has the dot.
From there I started collecting with what I could afford;Mosins, Mausers, SKS's, etc. Prices have risen significantly, to the point of only one purchase a year, on average.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Much like Caribou, My first was a Czech VZ24, also a lesson for me in corrosive ammo. whoops. really only bought it because I like bayonets and of my collection at the time a beautiful parkerized vz24 was my favorite, thought it'd be nice to have the matching rifle.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My first somewhat milsurp was a .30 caliber DWM Luger in 1959 while attending Tulsa University. If memory serves me correctly I paid a Tulsa pawn shop $25 for the piece on layaway at $5 per month. The ammo for the piece was not easy to find and more expensive than I could afford. I took the Luger back to the pawn shop and traded even across for a 1943 byf P.38 in 9mm with all matching numbers. I'd go through the various pawn shops on 1st Ave. looking for a P.38 holster and found a 1943 dated hard shell P.38 holster for about $8 . I still have that P.38 and holster tucked away in my gun safe and haven't fired it since about 1971 or '72.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
57,513 Posts
My first surplus firearm was a British Enfield pistol - 38S&W. It was given to me (as my personal pistol) when I was 12 years old. It went with me every where I went including school.

The first one I purchased was a mis-matched luger - 9mm - when I was 15 years old. I paid $12 for it. I had been working part time and saved up the money. Went to the gun store - by myself, liked it and purchased it with the money I had saved. It replaced the Enfield as my carry pistol.

Still have both of them.

Today though, my carry pistol is a FN Hi Power.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
cpw --- You sound like my kind of man. I too have an Enfield Mk II top break revolver in .38 S&W and a few lugers as well. I gave a little more for my pieces than you gave for yours ($25 for my first luger in 1959) and I think about $250 for the Enfield a couple years ago. I remember the days when a kid teenager could walk into a gun store point to what was wanted (a rifle or pistol), lay his / her money on the counter and walk out the door with the purchase, no real questions asked and no paper to sign. Hang on to your Enfield and Luger.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts