Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
In 1995, I bought my first milsurp, a beautiful 1944 5-groove Enfield. Bought it over the counter at Springfield Sporters. The second was a nice Romanian SKS; can't remember where I bought that one.

I still own and shoot every gun I ever bought.

·
Registered
562 Posts
4AEAAFDE-B49C-43F6-BDB7-3325B341106C.jpeg

About 1984, I saw a former Turkish Gew88/05 at an outdoor flea market. Paid $65 for it and was also handed a copy of Shotgun News, which at the time was very thick with recently imported Milsurp options. That was the start of a long journey.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've had lots of guns all my life but didn't get into collecting until late. I had some surplus pistols (Colt 1911 etc) but no rifles, but I acquired my first military surplus rifle from a friend, payment for helping him liquidate part of his collection.

It was a 1873 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70. That started it!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
My first mil surp was a 1891 Argentine Mauser. This was about 1963 1964. Was all down hill after that. Dad freaked out about it but mom was cool with it. Enfields both British and U.S., Moisins, Swedes, and of course a couple Argy 1891's. Frank

·
Registered
331 Posts
My first milsurps were a 1936 tula hex 91/30 that had been given the finncub "enhancements" that was given to me . The first one I purchased was a M1 carbine from a Woolworths dept store .I still have the carbine and enjoy taking it to the range .

·
Registered
280 Posts
My first milsurp was a 1942 Ivhevsk 91/30 just real run of the mill but also surplus ammo was still readily available and I shot it pretty much every day. Took my 1st deer ever with it and eventually moved it on to another home.

·
Registered
386 Posts
No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield from Big 5 in 2005. I think it was $89. Bought a Mosin shortly after that. Then an RC k98 followed by an Arisaka.

Anyone know where those mid-2000s No 4 Mk 1s were imported from?

·
Gold Bullet member
10,335 Posts
No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield from Big 5 in 2005. I think it was $89. Bought a Mosin shortly after that. Then an RC k98 followed by an Arisaka.

Anyone know where those mid-2000s No 4 Mk 1s were imported from?
I believe that some came in from Italy around that time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Peruvian Mauser Modelo 1909, bought in 1974/75, when I did my 15 month of service in the german army. Its in my posession today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My first milsurp was a 1938 27-code 'Russian Capture' K98 which I still have to this day. Overall it's in really nice condition with a good-excellent bore. I don't shoot it too much anymore and even though my collecting interests have changed over time, I don't think I'll ever sell it due to the nostalgia.

1.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
SMLE...forever

My first milsurp was a 1938 27-code 'Russian Capture' K98 which I still have to this day. Overall it's in really nice condition with a good-excellent bore. I don't shoot it too much anymore and even though my collecting interests have changed over time, I don't think I'll ever sell it due to the nostalgia.

View attachment 3694325
The Very Short Magazine Lee Enfield
The firstweapon I ever owned was a 1916 BSA No I Mk III star purchased in 1964 when Iwas 16. After a year of enthusiastic use,the head of the front guard screw crystalized and snapped off because it was 49years old and tired. So here we are in1965, SMLEs are available but no one, at least in upstate NY or by mail order hadparts yet. In desperation I answered anadd in the Shotgun News offering junker Enfield for $5. This was ¼ of what I’d paid for my rifle butwhat can you do? I sent in my order witha note explaining my predicament and pleading that whatever shape it is incould it please have that screw. Twoweeks later I got a loong package in the mail (ah, the days of mail-orderguns). I think they humored me. It had thescrew but …There was a receiver and barrel, triggerguard, butt stock sans butt plate, lowerforestock no rear sight or rear sight protector, front sight, bolt, safety, front and rear handguard or nose cap. There were marks onthe wood where it had been bound with wire - Grenade launcher? There was a perceivablebend to the barrel, like a crocked finger… I had my screw, I was happy. My HS buddy Carl who had decided to collectSMLEs and at this point had five took the remains, cut off the barrel behindthe bend leaving at the most 14 inches. Being inventive as well as talented, he- cut back the forestock, fitted a Mauser hand guard, butt plate, front bandand bayonet lug. We all know how theSMLE handled head spacing (3 different sized interchangeable bolt heads). Hefiddled with the bolts he had until he found one that might work and of coursehe had five magazines. We took this “carbine”as he called it out to our shooting place one dark night, secured it to a tree,put a long leash on the trigger and hunkered down behind cover. After feeding 5 rounds through it andinspecting it carefully we tried it ourselves. I closed me eyes, pulled the trigger and…. the world lit up – I sawevery capillary in my eyelids clearly for a nanosecond. Can you say RECOIL? I stood slightly behind and to the right ofCarl when he fired it. I think his shoulder moved back at least 6 inches. Themuzzle blast was approximately 4 feet long and about 30 inches in diameter. You could see burning pieces of corditesparkling off into the dark. Ah, youth! When I watched the film Beneath Hill 60 , I hadto laugh hysterically at the Australian Sapper firing a cut down SMLE onehanded- with no apparent recoil or muzzle flash !

·
Registered
159 Posts
1943 Ishapore No1 mk3...My great uncle stole it from a napping indian soldier off a dock in the pacific while in the navy..yeah he's a dick..But got it as payment for helping remodel his house.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My first was chinese sks paratrooper that I paid 120 for with some ammo in 1994. Probably why I like the sks's so much today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first milsurp was a 1942 Ivhevsk 91/30 that I acquired in 2009 from Big 5 Sports for $100. It included a bayonet, sling, tool, and all accessories, etc. A friend had shown me his and let me shoot it. To hold that history in my hands was a life changing experience. . .
My collection has grown "somewhat" since that fateful day. I even have my own C&R now.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
My first milsurp (and first rifle) was a mid-war Izhevsk M91/30 Mosin. I loved cleaning out the Cosmoline, learning how to disassemble and assemble it and then taking it out for my first experience shooting a rifle. I was hooked on milsurps! Nevertheless, no great sentimental attachment to it and as it merely had a good bore I eventually moved it along to be replaced by a better looking example of a mid-war M91/30 with a better bore...and about 30 other Mosin Nagants of various types :)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
First was a 1941 Izhevsk 91/30. Wanted 1941 because first year of WWII. I told the gun shop owner I'd like a 1941 with the star (Tula) he laughed and said those are very hard to find and he didn't have any.

Years later I have a 1941 91/30 that has both Izhevsk and Tula markings. :p

Funny how things end up

·
Gold Bullet Member
715 Posts

View attachment 3694325
Isn't A 1938 27 a more sought after code?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Grandpa bought me a Krag sporter on my 12th birthday 1958 for $39.95. 220 gr milsurp beat me up pretty bad back then, but I still have that rifle and shoot it often.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts