Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And its a Russian! 1950 Tula refurb in fact. Just picked her up today and taking her hog hunting tomorrow.

Not the most desirable but if I was gonna shell out $400 I'd rather get a good lookin Russian and not a Norinco or Yugo. She's in excellent shape with no damage or misuse anywhere.

Couple of pics before bed.

:D

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts
The 1950 was the last year of the spring loaded firing pin and the first year of the free floating firing pin. That is, the russians transitioned to the free floating firing pin in 1950. I think, but am not certain, the later is more rare. Which do you have?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 1950 was the last year of the spring loaded firing pin and the first year of the free floating firing pin. That is, the russians transitioned to the free floating firing pin in 1950. I think, but am not certain, the later is more rare. Which do you have?
Not sure as of yet. Haven't disassembled her yet.

BTW she performed like a champ in the field this weekend. Bagged two hogs on the run with her. One through the head and the other through the lungs.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Way to go. The SKS seem to be getting more and more popular among hog hunters on all boards now a days.

By the way, all 1950 Russians are supposed to have a spring loaded firing pin. It was later on in 1951 that they went free floating.
My two 51 Non-Refurbs have spring loaded pins. Now go shoot some more hogs!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Way to go. The SKS seem to be getting more and more popular among hog hunters on all boards now a days.

By the way, all 1950 Russians are supposed to have a spring loaded firing pin. It was later on in 1951 that they went free floating.
My two 51 Non-Refurbs have spring loaded pins. Now go shoot some more hogs!
It was definitely my choice of bush gun between my AR-10 and PSL. It's much lighter and in that dense brush where shots were 25 yards and less she excelled in quick target acquisition!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Same results as posted on two other boards I visit often. The boys in East Texas, Louisiana, and all the way down through Florida are
stating the same results as you are. They are saying out to 100 yds or a little further they are deadly for hogs. For years there was the
total myth that the X39 lacked power for hogs. But, they are using light SP and the heavy 154 SP with devastating results. Some use the HP rounds also. I'm gonna bet neither of those two ran off and you spent the day tracking! Good shooting with a good rifle.
Get some more and post more pics. Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll shoot some pigs for ya in exchange for a SKS! ;)

Ok, I've determined my 1950r has the earlier spring loaded firing pin and bolt and 45 gas block. I know she's not rare but how good a find is she? All numbers matching except trigger guard sadly. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.