Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own plenty of semi-autos, some that I carry, and some that I don't. I've been wanting a snub-nose revolver to carry and to shoot for fun. I'd like to be able to get a S&W, but they are a bit over my price range. I've never spent over $500 on a pistol, and I don't think I will for several years.

I really like the Taurus 605. I've never shot one, but it feels nice in the hand. I'd like a 357 magnum so I can shoot both 357 and 38. I've heard really good things about the 605 and then I've heard some really bad things. I'm assuming I will hear the same things here, but should I save my money for a S&W or will the Taurus be fine?

If I decide against a revolver, I'll probably get a 45ACP pistol. I've never owned a 45, but I would like to! As another thought, does anyone have any experience with Rock Island Armory 1911s? I've shot one, and I liked it a lot.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Word of caution, this historically has become a very heated and nasty debate. You should have read a bit before asking perhaps if you dislike that type of thread. I have had good luck with Taurus, albeit older models. But others will hate them. Opinions are going to be very polar, either love or hate so you will get a LOT of confusion and no consensus. My personal revolver choice these days is Ruger, but my wife shoots the heck out of her 66 Taurus, old model.

My advice is if you like the 605, and it feels good and works well for you, buy it. But since there have been troubling negative reports. Try it, but REALLY push it a bit and put a probably 4 or 500 rounds through it before settling on it for defense. If it passes that you should be fine. Nothing wrong with a good 1911 either...

Now be prepared to duck while the IT hits the fan over this topic...

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
I own a Taurus 605. It's my truck pistol/trunk gun. I like it OK. My best revolver was my Ruger Security Six stainless 4" which I gave to my father so I know where it is. My recommendation is a Ruger SP101 for your first revolver.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
+1 for the Ruger SP101.

I own lots of revolvers from the current "Big 3" as I call them, S&W, Ruger and Taurus. Colt no longer makes any new production revolvers, maybe some custom stuff I don't know...... All 4 of my "Tauri" are from the late 70's-90's era, I don't own any of the current Taurus models. Like has been stated, opinions on Taurus range from hard-core fans who swear by them, and the other side of the coin, people who don't think they're fit to be paperweights. I am somewhere in the middle right now, they are solid functional guns but they have yet to earn my "love". The more I shoot my 4 .38's by Taurus the more I am swayed they may be solid guns for a good price, although the prices for the new stuff is rising on them.An M85 is still $150-200 less then an SP101, but the buyer must decide if for them, the Ruger is worth it. I think it is.

I used to gobble up all kinds of S&W wheelguns, have over a dozen of them, all of mine except one are older, from the 40's to the 90's. I only have one new one, a 64-7 with the MIM parts and internal lock, and it works like a champ. Got it used for $400, look around for used S&W snubs if that's what you want and you're willing to look around a bit, you may turn up a used newer J-frame, or an older one, for the same price or less than a new Taurus.

Taurus has had some QC issues as of late, but so has every other maker. It seems firearms makers are focusing more on the new autoloading pistols and 5.56 rifles and letting more lemons slip out in the revolver dept. I just bought my 3 used Taurus revolvers and I prefer Taurus wheelguns from the 80's-90's, back when wheelguns were still primary police and security weapons, as well as more popular for civilian shooting and home defense. It seems across the board, when LEO sales of revolvers slipped, so did quality control across the board.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,120 Posts
a snub-nose revolver to carry and to shoot for fun
Another thing to think about, to me, those two purposes are almost mutually exclusive in a revolver.
I used to have an airweight J frame, carried real well, but hated, hated, hated to shoot it.
Now I have a S&W 686, gorgeous gun to shoot at the range, but I'd need a wheelbarrow to carry it.
Can't weigh in on the Taurus thing as I don't own any, co-worker of mine loves them.
If you don't mind buying used, plenty of S&W around under $500.
Good luck, tell us what you end up with. And we like pics!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Shop around and you should be able to find several models of S&W revolvers new for under $500.00. But the Taurus revolver are decent guns for the money. I wouldn't be afraid to rely on one for self defense.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,931 Posts
used 586 S&W IS THE WAY TO GO.

accurate, good looking priced comparable to Taurus in 38 357 cheaper ammo means more shooting time.
mine replaced 3 Pythons as the 38 / 357 to shoot against targets. :thumbsup:
even though im a Colt person.:sorry:<><dk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of my friends has a S&W 36 from the 50's. I love the look of that gun, but they are pretty darn expensive, and I am really in the mood for a 357.

I like the Colt Python too, but its over my price range.

Edit: Does anyone have any experience with the Rock Island Armory 1911s? I like the compact version, but I'm not sure if I'd like the idea of carrying condition 1.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,931 Posts
excellent ROCK ISLANDS--ROCK FOR THE PRICE AND QUALITY....
i have the concealed carry 3 1/2 r 4 ? inch cone bush-less bull barrel-- out shot older Kimber full size .45 custom classic. sold the KIMBER..
one more thing no firing pin safty----!!!!!! can't carry with one in chamber and hammer down safely found out the hard way:tisk:.
brother- in- law had one full size, and it shot great--all Wilson Colt parts fit it - he shot it in competition.
SOLD IT GOT NEW TAURUS 45 more expensive not better<><dk

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
a snub-nose revolver to carry and to shoot for fun
Another thing to think about, to me, those two purposes are almost mutually exclusive in a revolver.
:) Like choosing the best rake for raking leaves for fun ;) I shoot my 605 from time to time just to make sure I'm familiar with it, but it's a tool for me, or rather insurance. If he is going to be shooting a good bit, again, SP101.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
A revolver is not the same as a semi-auto, as many first time shooters find out when they take a Basic Pistol Course and get to experience the differences.
As an old "wheel gun" man, I think everyone should learn to first shoot revolver as, if you can master one, you can shoot any handgun.
If you are going to shoot a handgun with any proficiency, you have to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more to get any good with it.
Scarcity and costs of ammunition pretty much preclude that these days.

One of the best investments I (we) ever made was an S&W 617 .22. It has the same identical frame, weight and feel of big brother in .38/.357.
This is important as there are very few dedicated .22 guns out there with the same weight, feel, bulk or trigger.
The gun is a very precise tack driver even at distance. With a good trigger job, it can be made a very superb trigger for a revolver and the distinctive "click" before double action has always been a desirable feature of S&W wheelguns.
The cost factor of .22's will quickly return itself in savings on ammo and you can afford to shoot it enough to get good with it.
After "warming up" with 150-200 rounds of .22, which is really necessary to master pistol shooting, you can trade off to a .38/.357 for a dozen or so rounds of the full power stuff and the only difference will be the recoil.

I suggest a matching pair. That may strain your budget quite a bit initially but you will recover the costs in ammo savings in short order.
Beware that any "snubby" can be difficult to master and control, especially if you feed it .357. 6" and over are difficult to draw from a holster and won't gain you much more in accuracy. 4" barrel revolvers were the preferred version for many years.

There is nothing wrong with a revolver vs a semi-auto but they do require an entirely different shooting technique. We frequently find students, who have already bought a semi-auto, gravitating to a revolver after they try one and find they very much prefer it.

Before you buy anything ... shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on and find the one that suits you best.
Many people waste their money on "looks" only to find they can't control it, master it, or do very well with it. Don't waste your considerable investment on something you may find you don't like once you gain some experience.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
The suggestion that "fun to shoot" and "Snubby in 38/57" are sort of mutually exclusive is to be taken seriously. Snubbies, except maybe K-frame sized ones, ain't very much fun to shoot after just a few rounds in 38 or (especially) 357. Even 148 grain target wadcutters in a small, light gun get sort of wearing pretty quick.

For carry, a light-weight is better, for comfort in shooting, a steel frame is better. In my own experience. I suppose I should say that i own no snubbies - have shot a number of them, but own none. All my revolvers have 4" or longer tubes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My friend bought a Rossi (made by Taurus) 357 mag snub nose for $318.00. We took it and blasted about 50 rounds down range. First of all I am a 45/1911 guy and our other friend is a Beretta M9 guy. Our jaws hit the floor as that little snubby was just as accurate as our autos with Blazer Aluminum 125 jhp's!

For $50.00 more you can get it in stainless too!

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
With Gold Dot .357 my 605 spits a flame cloud bigger than a basketball, stings my face with unburned powder residue, and makes my ears ring with hearing protection. At fairly close range even if I missed they'd be deaf, blind, and have their hair singed off. If it had S&W Mod. 60 grips my hand would be punished. The 605 grips help. With .38 spl. wadcutter/range ammo it's OK fun.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mostly wanted a 357 because the most powerful handgun I have now is a 9mm makarov. Everything else is a .22 or .32. I like the idea of being able to shoot both 38 and 357 from one gun. I've shot a S&W Mod. 36 and the recoil wasn't bad at all. My primary carry will still be my Kel-tec P32 for summer/tighter clothing and my P-64 or CZ-82 for anything else, but I like the idea of trying out a revolver for carry. I would just get a 38 Taurus, but for the same price I can get the 357 snubby. Who knows, the 357 might be *too* powerful for self defense. I feel pretty confident putting plenty of rounds in a bad guy with my 9mm maks and my Kel-tec without having to deal with heavy recoil. I don't know if I will be able to manage that with the 357, but one shot should do the trick with such a large caliber!

Edit: Does anyone have any thoughts on the Rossi revolvers? They are a little bit cheaper on gunbroker than the Taurus.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Get a .357. Manageable in a snubby with decent rubber grips, just loud and lots of blast due to powder burning in the air outside the muzzle. Again, SP101. It's worth the extra $100-150 IMHO. I have a Taurus 605. I like it OK. I paid $300 for it new. I'd pay $100-150 more for an SP101 if I was going to have one .357/.38. Or, look for a used police trade in S&W 66. The foregoing have better resale and are more consistent IMHO.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
It's not the caliber, the size or style of the gun or the type of ammunition ...
It's what YOU can do with it!

Don't matter what it is if you can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside!

·
Silver Bullet member
52,931 Posts
357 flash/loud sound causes flinching in a defensive stitution i have been told?

Matt .357 and 44 mag are in my 30 + years experience the hardies to shoot expert with.:eek:
but shoot 38's and 44 specials in them AND IT is a pleasure most fail to realize.:clap:
not saying that i couldn't hit a man silhouette at hundred yards from a rest cause i have.
but to pull it and depend on it for defiance issues--:eek:
give me .45 or 9 mm---- +p 38 sp. 5 or 6 in barrel-- 44 sp. 24-3 5 in barrel- a gun of known print patterns that correlate with a target at 35 yards or less I'm confident and controlled first shot out. but with out hearing protection the 357 kills at both ends.<><dk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not the caliber, the size or style of the gun or the type of ammunition ...
It's what YOU can do with it!

Don't matter what it is if you can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside!
I agree with that. My Kel-tec is okay for when carrying my P-64 is too bulky, but I don't expect to hit a target accurately more than 10 yards away. Some people talk badly about the .32ACP round, but using Fiocchi FMJ, I think it would take down a perp just fine. Shot placement is key! My P-64 and CZ-82 can easily hit the bullseye 20 yards away, so I prefer to carry them, but they are also a lot heavier. I won't carry a 22, not because of the lack of power, but because I can get a pistol the same size, but much more powerful. I considered a Taurus 22 or Beretta 950 (.25 or .22short) before I got my kel-tec, but for the same price, I could get more power.

I'd love to get a 1911 to replace my 9x18s for carry, but I'm not a fan of cocked and locked and I feel the makarov caliber will perform well with FMJ ammo. I guess with practice, I would learn to prefer cocked and locked with 1911s.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree with that. My Kel-tec is okay for when carrying my P-64 is too bulky, but I don't expect to hit a target accurately more than 10 yards away. Some people talk badly about the .32ACP round, but using Fiocchi FMJ, I think it would take down a perp just fine. Shot placement is key! My P-64 and CZ-82 can easily hit the bullseye 20 yards away, so I prefer to carry them, but they are also a lot heavier. I won't carry a 22, not because of the lack of power, but because I can get a pistol the same size, but much more powerful. I considered a Taurus 22 or Beretta 950 (.25 or .22short) before I got my kel-tec, but for the same price, I could get more power.

I'd love to get a 1911 to replace my 9x18s for carry, but I'm not a fan of cocked and locked and I feel the makarov caliber will perform well with FMJ ammo. I guess with practice, I would learn to prefer cocked and locked with 1911s.
I have a Keltec P32, 4 inch 38spcl, and 1911, also a Ruger P85. The Ruger P85 is my carry weapon because I feel safe with the decocker and never leave the safety on. The Keltec was my carry weapon till my state outlawed all carry if not in a holster, I was carrying in my pocket. I am trying to find one of those "pocket holsters" but haven't purchased one yet. My Ruger sits in a IWB holster don't really care if anyone notices a "service size pistol" on my side.

I'm apologize for my curving of the thread, the Taurus 82 my old man purchased in 1994 was the first stainless model I think. Anyway it's a fixed sight 4 inch 38 spcl. That firearm is still so nice, the chamber doesnt spin freely (like new). Also you cannot see daylight between the cylinder and the barrel. I've always admired the lack of recoil on that weapon. I've come to the conclusion that Taurus are hit or miss. I've read many posts about Taurus till I bought my $729.00 stainless 1911. Have about 500 rounds through it with only a couple malfunctions on some cheap reloads I found during the ammo shortage. After shooting my friends 357 Rossi, the blast was enormous and reminded me of the videos of the nuclear tests in the desert. However, I did not notice any more recoil than the 4 inch 38...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts