Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't believe it, guy was standing at the counter of my local gunshop with a utterly beat Rolling Block, a battered Ishy SMLE, two sporter-cut-stock SMLEs, and this.

I asked the gunshop owner if he'd bought it yet, he said no, I asked if he wanted a commission, he said no, make your offer, and I asked the guy selling the rifle what he wanted. He had no idea, and I offered two hundred bucks, we shook hands, and I took it out and shoved it behind the seat of the truck.

I probably could've offered less, but I thought two was fair for no paperwork and being a decent rifle.

We all thought the bore was toast, but I took it home and ran a single patch through, and it was apparently all ash. There was literally a puff of dust as the jag popped out of rifling and into the counterbore, and the rifling underneath was pristine.

1904 Tula, D marked, SA marked, DEUTSCHES REICH stamp on the stock, Finn-matching, and nice. Stock doesn't match the action, but hey.

This makes my seventeenth M-91. I used to get 'em for $175 shipped, and how I miss those days. Even though I am supposed to be in hoard-up-money mode, I thought it was a rare enough opportunity to obtain one. Nowadays all the M-91s I see seem like they're $350 and up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
WOW! Very nice!! Luck was with you today, Good job! :D :D

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
From the looks of your pics, the marking seems to be pretty deep. Nice score.

·
Registered
125 Posts
counter offer

I offer $201.00...so you can make a profit...HAHAHAHA

Very NICE rfle! Lucky number 17

My wife things I'm nuts because I have 6 Mosin Nagants (2 M91's, 3 91/30, M39). Help me make her feel better. Roughly, how many Mosin Nagants do you have total? (m91's, 91/30, M44, Etc)

·
Registered
592 Posts
That is a very nice find! At a price I could only dream of... I am green with envy! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy though :)

-Palimino

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This makes thirty, total. I think I've had thirty total before, but I recently sold a couple projects, and I'm not sure how many I'd bought since. It varies, I need to clear out a bunch.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Very nice rifle

·
Registered
814 Posts
Man, those floors are something else...oh, yeah, the rifle...another nice one, Vaarok...I think the M91's will continue to appreciate in value and an uncommon one like this will be a keeper for sure. Congrats,
Flakshield

·
Registered
535 Posts
What a beautiful score! And you gave the seller an very fair price, when you probably could've got it for half that or better. Cheers to you Vaarok. Still looking for my first M91, as I seem to be stuck in M39 mode (which ain't a bad place to be!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Heh, just the other night you were talking about having to sell stuff and here you are buying more rifles. That ain't gonna work too well now is it? Lol.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,436 Posts
I offer $201.00...so you can make a profit...HAHAHAHA

Very NICE rfle! Lucky number 17

My wife things I'm nuts because I have 6 Mosin Nagants (2 M91's, 3 91/30, M39). Help me make her feel better. Roughly, how many Mosin Nagants do you have total? (m91's, 91/30, M44, Etc)
Tell the wife that a lot of us have more than we know. I recently found a M39 under my office couch cushions, that I had forgot about. ( no, I did'nt sit on it bolt up):D Anyway I have somewhere between a bunch and alot.BTW nice find Vaarok.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,487 Posts
Good price for you on a very nice rifle and probably a lot more than the seller would have received at the shop. A great deal for both.

I like that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Great story and rifle. I've been lucky enough acquire a few pieces the same way. You live for those moments. The more I say I'm gonna stop...the bigger my collection gets. Where's my research grant for that phenomenom??

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Late to the dance....:D Nice rifle!!

I have bought two or three rifles that looked like they had a trashed bore....One was a 28-30, but it still had grease in the bore, the other rifles were dusty & the bores were not trashed, they had dust in em!!

pahtu.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts