Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I added a number of Finnish rifles to the collection lately...a few more than intended, but worse things can happen, right?!

The first is a 1934 M28/30. The Civil Guard district number is 30990, which is from the Vakka Suomi district (SW Finland), if my research is correct. This one is in a one piece Russian stock, with the cross bolt on the muzzle end. The butt stock has a 3 digit number stamped vertically on the left side. There is a neat Finnish repair forward of the magazine body, which is Chatellerault marked. There is also another repair to a crack beside the bolt body on the right side that appears to be Finn repaired. I say that because when I got this rifle it was coated in Finn grease and cosmo(?) and did not seem to be touched since import.

I included a picture of the tang...I believe it has a Remington receiver. I did not include pics of the following, but it has the aluminum barrel sleeve, Finn mousetrap spring, and a two piece interrupter/ejector. It also has the aluminum or solder sleeve under the rear sight.

As seen on early M28/30's, the rear sight is Sako stamped numbered (5583). The butt plate also has a two digit serial number that does not match.

In the finger groove on the left side, there is an oval stamp that is unreadable...would it have been marked SYT at one time?

I hope you enjoy the pictures. Feel free to correct me if I have errors. I'd be interested to know if Flyin Brian has this one (and those to follow) in his database or not. I will have a few more M28/30's and a couple of other Finn rifles to post as time allows.

Marathon import stamp barely visible

728 stamped vertically

Crack repaired (glued) by Finns? Bolt 6027

SYT inside the oval of the finger groove?

Chatellerault marked mag, Finn stock repair.

Remington tang?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,618 Posts
Yes very nice. Been waiting for a long time to see what you got! See you got cheated and didn't get any predrilled scope mount holes? Oh well I got all the luck. One of my two 1934s is 40 off of yours, #37317. Nice looking rifle, congrats, John.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes very nice. Been waiting for a long time to see what you got! See you got cheated and didn't get any predrilled scope mount holes? Oh well I got all the luck. One of my two 1934s is 40 off of yours, #37317. Nice looking rifle, congrats, John.
That's funny! :)

This one was the only non-matching rifle of the bunch. I was hoping someone else got my bolt in another lot. It wasn't you or zeebill though, unfortunately.

It's been fun cleaning them up and seeing what each one is like. The difficult part will be deciding which ones to hold on to and which ones to let go of.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good looking rifle! I just like these older m28-30's. I also have one pretty close in numbers with yours. Serial is 377xx and the district is the same.
That is cool! They served together and lasted intact enough for us to enjoy. Thanks for the response!

I have an earlier serial numbered '34 that I'll post at some point too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I checked mine. The CG district number is only 44 away from yours and is 30956. The number in the rear sight is 5525. This one is all matching and although there is wear in the bluing and the stock, the rifling is very good and bright. I guess it was carried a lot and shot quite little. Sorry for the poor iCamera pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just a question; I recently picked up a 1939 M28/30 which does not have the S serial number. I don't doubt that the rifle is an authentic M28/30, but I was surprised that the Civil province number is missing. Was there a period when this wasn't being used?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Newcomers to m28/30s (no, not you!) need to remember that 28/30s may have tight barrels chambered in .308.

This means they should not fire 7.62X54R and need handloads using .308, not .310 or larger, bullets.

Slug your barrel when you get a 28/30 before firing to be sfae.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Does this apply to 1940 dated 28-30s?

Thanks, Pahtu.
Good question. Are there known 1940s with S number? I don't remember seeing one.

Many m/39s on the other hand seem to have it which, according to Palokangas, was because the Sk.Y delivered these guns to elderly guardsmen rather than combat troops although they were in constant shortage modern weaponry. Shameful.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good question. Are there known 1940s with S number? I don't remember seeing one.

Many m/39s on the other hand seem to have it which, according to Palokangas, was because the Sk.Y delivered these guns to elderly guardsmen rather than combat troops although they were in constant shortage modern weaponry. Shameful.
I agree. From my records, there are very few late 1939 and 1940's that have S numbers. Mind you, I just might not have recorded them early on, but in just scrolling down through the 670 m/28-30 numbers I have, it is obvious that most of the S numbers are pre-mid 1939.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,618 Posts
That was a great question to ask. According to my records I have nine 1944 Sk.Y M39s without double checking I have 5 of them with CG#. My record keeping has improved but have not gone back and transferred my CG# other than an old list which needs updating. It may be more than 5 out of 9? Interesting to me how CG rifle were distributed. Regards, John.

Regards, John.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. From my records, there are very few late 1939 and 1940's that have S numbers. Mind you, I just might not have recorded them early on, but in just scrolling down through the 670 m/28-30 numbers I have, it is obvious that most of the S numbers are pre-mid 1939.
Am I right in assuming that this 1940 is unusual then? This is another one of my recent acquisitions that I will create a new thread for.

I also have a 1939 with mid production serial of 64666 that has a Civil Guard number.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Learjet, real nice rifle!......Please forgive a bit of thread jacking......but here are some pics of 28-30 rifles with and without CG numbers....

1. Minty 1940 28-30 with just a S stamp

2. Nice 1940 28-30 with CG number

3. Rough 1939 28-30

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.