Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this T-14 off of Teri Bryant, whose website most of you probably know. Nambus are like hens teeth up here in Canada, so I was looking for one for years before I found this one. I've been told about the weak firing pin, is there anything I should know about it?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm surprised she let one of her pistols go. Maybe she needed to make room for another acquisition. Yes, the firing pin is the weakest link in the Nambu and also springs. Wolf Gunsprings sells an excellent set. I cannot remember the board member who makes firing pin copies but I am sure someone else here will.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Nice to see another Canadian collector besides Teri! Welcome to the forums.
I agee, definately replace the springs with new ones. I think Don Slickman makes firing pins, but I could be wrong.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Save stress on the striker tip

When uncocking, put a normal pencil with eraser eraser side down in the barrel. With a little pressure from your fingers, fire the pistol.

Better to use an unsharpened pencil and be sure it is unloaded.

A snap cap will work fine, if you can find one.

Don S. does make strikers of all types.

Others will say take it apart, but that puts even more compression on the already highly compressed striker spring; and more wear on the parts.

Should you get a chance to fire it, be sure to lubricate the weapon.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
What are the legal gymnastics Canadians have to endure for transferring a handgun?
C/
You'll probably know, first hand, soon enough!
Nice pistol! Teri is just too cool for school! :)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
When uncocking, put a normal pencil with eraser eraser side down in the barrel. With a little pressure from your fingers, fire the pistol.

Better to use an unsharpened pencil and be sure it is unloaded.

A snap cap will work fine, if you can find one.

Don S. does make strikers of all types.

Others will say take it apart, but that puts even more compression on the already highly compressed striker spring; and more wear on the parts.

Should you get a chance to fire it, be sure to lubricate the weapon.
Hold on now! There's a way to "uncock" the T-14 that doesn't involve any risk of injury or damage.
Have a mag in the pistol. Pull back the bolt till it locks. Then push in the plunger & unscrew the cocking knob. With all the parts out of the bolt, pull the magazine letting the bolt snap forward. Then you can send the firing pin parts down the channel with a simple trigger pull & push. The only "snap" in this process is the bolt snapping forward & you can thwart this with a rag.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Plan B

A dogs plan B will work fine, if you don't have a pencil handy.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
A dogs plan B will work fine, if you don't have a pencil handy.
Or, if you don't want to break your firing pin. That sucker hits the eraser pretty hard & if you're not ready... oops!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
The main message here is don't dry fire your pistol. Many strikes againt the stop in the bolt causes stress fractures at the joint of the pin and striker body. If you eliminate this sudden stop with a cartridge, or pencil, or snap cap, the striker does not strike the bolt body with the same force , if at all.

And if you're up for a little target practice, use a sharpened pencil and put a target on the ceiling. Then you can add a little fun to the decocking.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
You guys overcomplicate it. I do this, when pistol is cocked remove magazine pull bolt all the way back and trip the firing pin at the back end of the sear. It will just release and will not snap. Now just let the bolt go forward and your done. Couldn't be easier. Now reinstall magazine wipe it off and put it away.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Plan C

I like Big Ed's method! Doesn't even take a pencil.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies - anything Japanese is really difficult to find up here, so I was fortunate Teri was selling.

Seinen - all handguns up here are registered, you just have to phone the firearms center and give them the buyers name and firearms liscense number. They call to confirm, and it usually goes to the province. Typically takes about 4 days.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Seinen - all handguns up here are registered, you just have to phone the firearms center and give them the buyers name and firearms liscense number. They call to confirm, and it usually goes to the province. Typically takes about 4 days.
That's not as bad as I thought. Thanks!

C/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts