Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it was bound to happen one day. I had 2 malfunctions with my Bulgarian Mak today. I was at the range requalifying for my concealed carry permit.

In Texas, you shoot 50 rounds at various distances. I was using Winchester 9x18 (I believe S&B makes this for them). I've used this ammo before. About round 35 or so, we were shooting 5 rounds, 5 rounds loaded in the mag. The slide locked back after 4 rounds. I didn't have time to inspect it to see what the problem was so I took out the magazine and the last round dropped out.

About round 45, it happened again, slide locked back after the 4th round (5 rounds had been loaded in the magazine). I did have time to look down in it this time. The round appeared to be mostly in the chamber. I pointed the pistol down and released the magazine, tilted the pistol up and the round fell out.

It had been about 7 months since this pistol had been cleaned or lubed (cleaned and relubed after last shooting session of course). It had functioned fine when it had gone this long without relubing several times before. I choose this pistol to use just as another test to see how it would perform after going that long without cleaning or lubing. It had been carried in my car quite often during that 7 months.

Of course I did have my Glock 19 along with me just in case a serious problem arose and I had to switch pistols to complete the test.

Not sure at this point if I'm really concerned about it or not. If this had happened on the first mag or 2 and/or it had been recently relubed, I would be.

I shot fairly well and the shooting test is pretty easy so there was no problem passing the test despite shooting just 48 rounds.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Alamo, if any other pistol had done that to you I would post the icon showing one smiley beating another one on the head with a stick. But since it was a Makarov, it should have worked, dirty or not. I am guessing you may not have polished your feed ramp. When maks get real dirty, particularly inside the magazine, an occasional round can stick on the ramp.

Clean the gun and mag thoroughly (do a detail strip including the extractor and disassemble the magazine), polish the ramp if you haven't already, and let us know how it worked out.

CB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I'm going to give it a good clean and lube and shoot again. The pistol wasn't really dirty, just hadn't been lubed in 7 months. It was in a holster the whole time. I've never polished the feed ramp as it has never failed in 600+ rounds but that's always a good thing to do. I'll get out the dremel. This was an unissued Bulgarian so all the rounds that have been put through it are mine.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Sorry to hear about your setback-better to find out you have a problem before you really need to use it;and if using as a carry piece it is good to shoot it more often than 7 months.Now would be a good time to inspect/ change the slide stop and or sear spring.Also a good time to clean an lube the magazine and magspring.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
First Malfunction ever

With only five rounds in the mag both times it's a good bet your mag spring is weak. Leaving them loaded all the time is probable cause. I'd replace the mag spring and the recoil spring followed by a clean/lube job and retest. Regards. Sunfish

·
Registered
17 Posts
Magazine springs do not weaken by being left loaded. The springs weaken by being cycled from uncompressed to fully compressed; the more you use a spring, the faster they weaken (static storage is not use). Check to see if the problem only occurs with one magazine; if so then that magazine is needing repair or replacement.

There may be a problem with the lips of the magazine, or with the feed ramp of the gun. The recoil spring may also be a factor in this case; if the recoil spring is causing the slide to short stroke, then a problem with the feed ramp or magazine lips may be exacerbated. Be sure that the recoil spring is correctly installed on the barrel (tight end goes on the barrel first).

Also check you shooting hand position for interference with the slide operation; if your thumb is rubbing on the slide, the friction may slow the slide and add to a marginal operation of the action.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to give it a good cleaning and lube and feed ramp polish. I'll clean and inspect the magazine but use it again to see if the problem repeats. I've got about a dozen extra mags (I've got an EG too and my brand n.i.b. Russian .380 that I scored last week for $125).

I think the recoil spring is fine, it's a #19 from Makarov.com and I know how to put them on. I've owned Maks for a number of years now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts