Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my first M39 yesterday, and wow! It is unbelievable the difference between the finnish rifles and the russian! Everyone says it, and I was a bit skepticle, but wow!!!! :)

Here's my question. Mine is a 1944 Sako built on a 1928 Tula Receiver, how common is that? I have seen many built on antique receivers, did the finnish make any of their own receivers?

Any comments are appreciated as well!!

Thanks!

·
Diamond Member
7,114 Posts
brockj, congratulations on your first M39. It probably wont be your last! To answer your question...the Finnish did not manufacture their own receivers. They also reused bolts, buttplates, and magazine wells. Hope to see some pics. Denny

·
Diamond Member
7,114 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I hope it shoots to your liking. From time to time I fing M39 cocking pieces that are Sako marked. I have always assumed these have been ground and restamped. denny

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool! Thanks for the info. I kinda thought they did not make thier own or very few as many have antique receivers. The bore is almost mirror on this thing, I cannot wait to shoot it! I am glad I grabbed it when I did....now just to find some range time :)

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Looks like an awesome rifle! Congrats!

One question, though: are you sure the receiver date is 1928? The top reciever flat has that ground-out area common on Finn rifles where they removed the Imperial crest. A 1928 reciever shouldn't have had an eagle to begin with.

Could be that the Finns ground off the Tula mark or some other mark there, I guess, or just ground that spot on every M39 receiver that day, or something.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure it had 28 with the tula hammer, but I will take some pics when I get home tonight for some second opinions...darn, need to pull it out of the safe again! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sure that it is a '28 receiver attatched is a pic...

On my 27 Tulas there is a wreath with the soviet symbol in there, must have ground that out?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just how many Finn rifles do you have 7.62? Ill take all mine down to contribute to your study. Just let me know when and Ill send the pics. I own a total of 5.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Pretty sure that it is a '28 receiver attatched is a pic...

On my 27 Tulas there is a wreath with the soviet symbol in there, must have ground that out?
Great pic brockj.

Yes, I suspect Sako did just that- ground out the hammer and sickle in the wreath.

It seems Sako was more agressive about scrubbing the recievers as compared to VKT/AV3 guns.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's odd, the hammer is upside down in relation to the numbers. Maybe the later ones are like that but the early ones have the date below the hammer handle. One of these days I'm going to do a study on this, but I dread the thought of taking that many rifles apart!
Could have been a bad day for Ivan on the hammer punch?

brockj--That rifle has seen some things, judging from the wood. Nice addition.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could have been a bad day for Ivan on the hammer punch?

brockj--That rifle has seen some things, judging from the wood. Nice addition.
When I was looking there was another one with metal in similar condition, except the stock was post war and much nicer, somehow, this one just spoke to me more....and since the stock was rougher was a little bit cheaper! I absolutely love it! To me that is my favorite thing, the history behind them

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Okay, I was looking at some of the pictures of mine and I guess it's typical for the hammer to be upside down during that era.

I have "a lot" of Finn Mosins. I have plenty of Russian and Soviet rifles also which will actually make it easier since I'll know what the tang marks "should" be before I take them apart. I have the info recorded on a lot of my Finn Mosins, but not all and I'm sure I'll need some of them to fill in the holes to get a complete record of tang markings. Thanks for the offers of the pictures, but I'm way behind on submittals as it is now and this project is not going to happen for a while.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just how many Finn rifles do you have 7.62? Ill take all mine down to contribute to your study. Just let me know when and Ill send the pics. I own a total of 5.

There is a good chance that Ted no longer knows how many he has or that he is unable to count that high. :)

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Most of the receivers the Finns had came from WW1 stocks - These either taken in Finland or bought from nations across Europe. The Finns also took rifles in the wars between 1939-1944 as well as buying from Germany in the same time period. Still overall the numbers of these later receivers is much less than the earlier ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts