Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lastest was found at the LGS for $65 out the door. Its a 1941 Lithgow with matching receiver and barrel, only a non-matching bolt body, no magazine. The bore is shiny and groves are above decent. This will be my restoration project rifle since its not a all matching pristine collectable. The wood is in great shape just needs alot of attention.

I do have a question about the bolt, should I build one from the non-matching bolt body that came with the rifle or can I order a complete bolt. Preferences? It will have to be headspaced either way.
Enjoy the pics...comments and advice always appreciated....

·
Registered
398 Posts
$65 for a Lithgow in that condition?........... I'd low crawl through a half mile of broken beer bottles and rusty nails for that deal.....

82ndpara

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,704 Posts
I have a few questions.

What's wrong with the wood and how can it be in great shape and still need a lot of attention? Why isn't it collectible? What needs restoring? What's the bolt number?

You can easily increase its value by not touching it if am I missing something.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Demo...The butt stock is the only piece that needs attention, it looks like water spot damage from being stored in an undesirable location. I will post some pics. The forestock and both handguards are in great shape. It only came with the bolt body which is not matching to the receiver or barrel. Nosecap is mismatched also. My mistake saying that its not collectable, as it absolutely is and I will treat it as such.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess when I meant alot of attention I might have over did it...lol....But this is what I was talking about, I just figured that I would try to clean the wood up and oil it up.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
What's wrong with the bolt (aside from having an unmatched number) that it needs replacement? Anything you do will not be matched so why bother. If it's working and fits within acceptable parameters....dance with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.