Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to build my first L1A1 and I need help getting started. I still doing my homework and learning on what parts to use and how exactly to go about this build. I found a nice parts kit on Arizona response systems for 700-900. I feel like that is a bit much for a parts kit but if it's the going rate so be it. I also found a inch L1A1 receiver for damn near 900, and again I feel like that's a little high. Anyways will the parts kit and receiver yield me one complete rifle or am I still missing parts out of the kit to have a complete rifle, and is there a better opinion for a inch L1A1 receiver out there? I will post links to both parts. Thanks for your help.

https://arizonaresponsesystems.com/product-category/l1a1-receiver-group/

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
you would be better off searching for a complete rifle to purchase, rather then building one, especially at those kind of prices

·
Copper Bullet member
1,875 Posts
Don't forget the required 7 USA made parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a nice l1a1 is just as if not more than building on. I also would have to research how to make this build 922 complaint

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have built several STG58's on imbel receivers. That is a metric gun, and imbel receivers were in spec.
All you had to worry about was clocking the barrel and head space.
From what I have read, nobody currently makes an inch receiver that doesn't require machining to get the gun to run. I would do your research so you know what to look for in a quality L1A1, then buy a complete gun. Less headaches.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
The first thing to understand is that its not actually about the 7 parts, but the 10 parts.
The 7 is just a part of the FAL/SLR design. You don't "have to have 7 compliance parts", that's just a side effect of the actual law. What you need is no more than 10 of the "evile, Furren non-compliance" parts & that varies depending on the design.
Here's the facts.
http://tapco.com/section922r/

·
Registered
952 Posts
20181016_142107_resized.jpg 20181016_142017_resized.jpg

Here is a Century I put back into more original trim. I'm also getting ready to do my first build on another Aussie kit. The hayday for building these was a while back but better late than never I say :)

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,188 Posts
you would be better off searching for a complete rifle to purchase, rather then building one, especially at those kind of prices
I bought a nearly complete Enfield 59 kit at Knob Creek a few years ago for $350. Sold it for $550 and got a wood stock L1A1 for $850 on the boards here. The receiver alone was almost a grand.
Find a built rifle and forget the build, you'll be money ahead. Lots of money.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I bought a nearly complete Enfield 59 kit at Knob Creek a few years ago for $350. Sold it for $550 and got a wood stock L1A1 for $850 on the boards here. The receiver alone was almost a grand.
Find a built rifle and forget the build, you'll be money ahead. Lots of money.
Without telling which receiver, it's difficult to connect "almost a grand" to it. What is it? Lithgow? Enfield? BSA? Don't say DSA or Entreprise. They ain't worth almost a grand. Maybe a half of that.

·
Registered
952 Posts
People are asking crazy money right now for some of the older inch cut receivers including DSA. I guess some people are paying it. Out of my league for sure. Hopefully someone will build a new batch one of these days. There are still a lot of parts kits out there people are sitting on waiting to build. My L1A1 is a Century built rifle on a inch cut Type 3 R1A1 marked receiver and with the parts I bought to make it look more original I'm still in it for about $800 bucks. Parts are high. Many would say my receiver is not desirable at all. It functions but I have to fit magazines to it. Nice uncut barrels are also almost unobtanium.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got into FAL rifles very late, just earlier this year. I did a lot of research about building one and even though I believe I have the ability, I reached the conclusion it would be less costly to buy an already built one. Parts kit and receiver prices are way too high. My first rifle was an Australian kit on a Buena Park receiver that I paid $930 shipped. I have since bought 2 more, an all matching STG kit on an Imbel receiver for $1050, and a Century g1sa for 850. Many people call Century built rifles junk and some are. Many of Century's rifles work fine. My g1sa works well and the build is good.If you can try a Century before you buy it that would be good and may be a good value since many dismiss them. Here are my rifles. STG58 then g1sa under the Cetme then Australian.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
View attachment 3347435 View attachment 3347437

Here is a Century I put back into more original trim. I'm also getting ready to do my first build on another Aussie kit. The hayday for building these was a while back but better late than never I say :)
Some beautiful pictures there!

Like wilson180, I got my first recently. Lots of really nice ones here, good inspiration!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thank you Sir. Got any pics of yours? I'd like to see it. Wilson your Aussie looks minty. Very nice indeed. My only other FAL is a Belgian made South African contract Rhodie. Has the RA numbers engraved on the lower and the bolt carrier and a grenade sight/gas plug marked in yards which I think is very uncommon. I just need to find a rear sight with the same markings. Rare and expensive if I ever do. I painted it up in baby poop camo. Again it was a century R1A1. Just got lucky that the parts on it were Rhodesian used. I honestly didn't know what I had when I first got it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got lucky with the Aussie rifle. I put a WTB ad here on the boards for a FAL. A very nice gentleman from Maryland replied with one to sell. He told me the rifle was assembled by a retired Marine armorer. It is a very nice rifle that works well. I have only fired about 40 rounds through it. I want to keep it in nice condition.

The Century g1sa is my shooter FAL and I have fired hundreds of rounds through it. I bought a lot of Malaysian surplus 7.62 and also use it in my Cetmes and PTR.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a decent rifle. I was hoping to build one but I couldn't find a decent receiver, and this one has a enterprise ANBI reciever in the 0027xx range. What's a good price on this set up?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts