Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I am thinking about getting my first K98. I want something fun to shoot, but I also want something a bit historic. My budget is $350. I've heard bad things about Mitchells and probably won't order from them. What should I be looking for and for how much?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Definately stay away from mitchels mausers. All they do is take an rc and clean it up then restamp numbers so that the rifle is called "matching".

If you go the rc route, make SURE the bore is not pitted. Once you get one you may have to play with it to get it to group well. You could also go the original bolt mm route. For a few hundred dollars more you will also have what the general concensus will say is a collectible piece. If you go to sell it down the line, you will get your money back out of it and possibly more since collectible pieces are going up in price.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Welcome! We would really appreciate it if you could remove the link to the auction. I know it may seem odd to new members, but we do not allow links to live auctions (see forum rules under stickies).

What you are looking at is an RC and it would be fine and well within your budget to obtain one. With these, you are looking for functionality over appearance. The bore should be excellent and the chamber should be free of rust. These are historic and fun to shoot; however, they are not in original condition, having been refinished (metal and wood) by the Russians.

For slightly more, say $500-$750 one can find a bolt or stock mismatch rifle. K98ks typically have serial numbers on major components. For a variety of reasons, it is not uncommon to find a rifle with a mismatched bolt or stock. In the long run, these rifles may be a better investment. They will typically have their original finish and can be used for shooting as well.

Here is an auction that just ended; This rifle was re-bareled and has a mismatched bolt:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170669058

Here is another of a somewhat rough condition rifle that is also a bolt mismatch:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162517713

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Definately stay away from mitchels mausers. All they do is take an rc and clean it up then restamp numbers so that the rifle is called "matching".

If you go the rc route, make SURE the bore is not pitted. Once you get one you may have to play with it to get it to group well. You could also go the original bolt mm route. For a few hundred dollars more you will also have what the general concensus will say is a collectible piece. If you go to sell it down the line, you will get your money back out of it and possibly more since collectible pieces are going up in price.
Russian Capture K98's are also going up in price. If all you have is $350. get one now, Don't Waite.
HD2.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would hold out for now and save your money... If you could come up with $500 or more it would open up a world of collectible k98's and you could be a little more selective....

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Has anyone bought one of the K98s from J&G? They appear to be RC and it states that the bores will be "worn." I hope that doesn't mean pitted.
All JG has left are bottom of the barrel 98's, check out gun broker or gun shows near you. I picked up a nice BNZ 4 last month at a show for $325. out the door, good wood and mirror bore. Picture on left is before clean up.
HD2.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are the Yugo 24/47s? They seem like they'd be good shooters, but don't have much of a history behind them. But at my price range, they might be a consideration. All of the RC Mausers I have seen on gunbroker in my price range have been kind of spotty quality. The most important factor for me is a decent, shiny bore.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
How are the Yugo 24/47s? They seem like they'd be good shooters, but don't have much of a history behind them. But at my price range, they might be a consideration. All of the RC Mausers I have seen on gunbroker in my price range have been kind of spotty quality. The most important factor for me is a decent, shiny bore.
Yugo Rifles are good shooters (I have 3 of them 24/47, m48 and m48a) but if you want a rifle with some history behind it and a smooth action you have to go with the k98.
Bide your time one will show up.
HD2.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You don't need to be in a rush....I know from experience, don't be in a hurry. Take time to examin several types, consider the Check VZ 24's as well, they can be full of history as well. I bought a RC 98 a few years ago and it's my only 98 at this time. I really like it's history I wish it could talk. Listen to the advice you receive here. You could post some wanted ads at the local VA lodges, who knows some old vets may have an old '98 still in the closet to sell.

·
Registered
735 Posts
And then there are the Yugoslav K98k rebuilds...

If you're considering Russian captures, don't forget the Yugo-rebuilds, too. As a group, they're typically in better shape than the Russians, and likely to have more matching components than the RCs, also. However, just as with the RCs, you will never find an all-matching example. My Yugo rebuild K98k even has some waffenamts still visible, and is an excellent shooter. Most have the original German receiver stampings ground off and replaced with the Yugo communist crest.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello Westm. Welcome to the Forum. I have to agree with Beeker77. I have two Yugo rebuild K98's. Mine have matching numbers and many of them have new barrels and stocks. These make great shooters. The last one I got cost me $285 a couple of years ago. The RC's can still be found in decent shape as well. The 24/47's are pretty decent rifles. I just don't care for the straight bolt handle. Good luck with your search. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hello Westm. Welcome to the Forum. I have to agree with Beeker77. I have two Yugo rebuild K98's. Mine have matching numbers and many of them have new barrels and stocks. These make great shooters. The last one I got cost me $285 a couple of years ago. The RC's can still be found in decent shape as well. The 24/47's are pretty decent rifles. I just don't care for the straight bolt handle. Good luck with your search. I hope this helps.
Yeah, thats the main reason I prefer the K98, the bent bolt handle. I don't mind it on my Mosin, but the K98 looks better curved.

I'm not really looking into buying something *this* minute, but by the end of June, I hope to have something. I'll either get a RC or a rebuild model.

Edit: I've noticed that most RCs are missing front sight hoods. Can the hood be easily found and installed easily?

·
Silver Bullet member
410 Posts
+1 on the yugo rebuilds. They look better than the Ruski reworks and have nice bores. Mine came with the sight hood and has a really pretty red laminate stock. You should have no trouble finding one for 250, that leaves you money left over for a bayonet, repro sling and ammo!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Yugo Rifles are good shooters (I have 3 of them 24/47, m48 and m48a) but if you want a rifle with some history behind it and a smooth action you have to go with the k98.
Bide your time one will show up.
HD2.
Once owned an m24/47 and it was BY FAR the smoothest action I have ever had. Shot tight groups too but they are not historic in the same sense of a 98. You could go with a post war czech built 98 also but in no way are they as smooth as early nazi 98s.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Once owned an m24/47 and it was BY FAR the smoothest action I have ever had. Shot tight groups too but they are not historic in the same sense of a 98. You could go with a post war Czech built 98 also but in no way are they as smooth as early Nazi 98s.
It's been my experience that German and Czech. Mauser's have smoother actions than the Yugo, of course there are aways exceptions like your 24/47.
HD2.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to change up the thread a bit, but what is the best type of ammo to get? I shoot surplus in my Mosin Nagant because it's cheaper and I think it shoots even better than newer ammo. Sportsmansguide has some '50s Yugo surplus for a pretty good price. I have noticed that 8mm costs more than 7.62x54R.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sorry to change up the thread a bit, but what is the best type of ammo to get? I shoot surplus in my Mosin Nagant because it's cheaper and I think it shoots even better than newer ammo. Sportsmansguide has some '50s Yugo surplus for a pretty good price. I have noticed that 8mm costs more than 7.62x54R.
Go with this. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A8RS&groupid=42
Yugo 50 is one of the worst 8mm you can purchase, hard primers that don't work well in k89's and G43's.
HD2.

·
Registered
703 Posts
get a Russian capture with the swazies still intact, for me they arent any fun without. either that or a yugoslovian capture, won have any markings, but are in great shape, chaep, i have heard alot of good stuff about there accuracy. screw mitchels all of there stuff is russian captures that are way overpriced because of crappy refinnishing jobs that are shite. uggo polished bolts.

·
Registered
703 Posts
All JG has left are bottom of the barrel 98's, check out gun broker or gun shows near you. I picked up a nice BNZ 4 last month at a show for $325. out the door, good wood and mirror bore. Picture on left is before clean up.
HD2.
nice refinish, good looking gun. i see you got the repro sight hood and rod, so did i. it gives it that final touch. my rod is the same as yours but it ti slightly to long and my butcherblade wont fit all the way over it :( nice grab

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.