Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first K98. Got it at a local estate sale. All the numbers I see match. Can find only the boxed K-9 and boxed K-13 on the stock plus the mark under the buttplate and the serial number in the handguard and stock channel. The whole rifle looks too good and little used. Does it all look correct? From what I read should there be more stamps on an original? Thanks for any info I can get.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
936 Posts
A very lucky gent you are: appears to be completely untouched & very properly stored since war's end.
The markings appear normal for this fine late war example, ie: sparse .... & I'm assuming that the receiver is unserialed.
IIRC, the boxed numbers upon the stock wrist area are depot footprints.
When convenient, we'll also need to see some more excellent pics of the bolt from stem to stern - top & bottom views & all markings, please.

At this point, please resist any temptation to enhance or treat the wood finish with anything, because it's fine - use ony a soft bristle brush to remove any dust (an old toothbrush is handy for this), & then a white cotton or flannel rag where needed.
Same type of rag & normal gun oil upon the iron: any red/brown residue thereby picked-up means that oxidation is present & needs some of your attention.

Thanks for posting this beauty!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A very lucky gent you are: appears to be completely untouched & very properly stored since war's end.
The markings appear normal for this fine late war example, ie: sparse .... & I'm assuming that the receiver is unserialed.
IIRC, the boxed numbers upon the stock wrist area are depot footprints.
When convenient, we'll also need to see some more excellent pics of the bolt from stem to stern - top & bottom views & all markings, please.

At this point, please resist any temptation to enhance or treat the wood finish with anything, because it's fine - use ony a soft bristle brush to remove any dust (an old toothbrush is handy for this), & then a white cotton or flannel rag where needed.
Same type of rag & normal gun oil upon the iron: any red/brown residue thereby picked-up means that oxidation is present & needs some of your attention.

Thanks for posting this beauty!
Thank-you so much for the info, I did not expect expect it. I photographed all marks that I have not already posted I think. I have also taken pictures of the sling that came with it. The barrel bands look like they have extra holes in them. I have $450 in rifle. I normally restrict my collecting to Arisakas and do not know a lot about Mausers so am very interested in what you can tell me. Let me know what other pictures you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not find a serial number on the receiver. I could not find any marks on the barrel bands either.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
936 Posts
Agreed, thievery at its finest level here. This is a nice graduation gift from the world of Arisakas & actually record book material for a 1st K98k purchase, imho.
Farb needs to see this interesting beauty, jump-in here & comment.

Until then, I'd like to request an image of the bolt root's underside marking, directly opposite from the s/n: should be an eagle/63 there.
Also the safety: so far it's a bit puzzling, so please advise if there's anything stamped on the opposite face from the eagle/221 & "e" markings? If original, it should have the same 4-digit s/n there.
Bands: these are the later pattern (Kreigsmodell), whereupon they are retained w/ wood screws - hence the holes noted. Not incorrect here, but their presence may indicate replacements.
The sling is a very common post-war Israeli issue, so might as well find a new home for it.

Thanks again for the very good pics, & of course we now eagerly await some more.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Stock should not be numbered....Should have an Eagle H on the right side and should be a Semi Kreigsmodell and rough finished, not smooth, plus it has Kreigsmodell bands and now a bandspring holding the parts in place......Either post war or a sporter rescue with some additional numbering...Still well worth 450....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the info. There are no SN on the safety. I took pictures of the right side of the stock. I can imagine a mark since I am looking for it but don't know if there is one.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a rifle I am keeping so what kind of insurance value does it have based on what you can see?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
936 Posts
Eagle/63 on the bolt underside looks fine, & native.
Re safety: assuming no signs of grinding or s/n removal, it might be an armorer's replacement.

We could now use an image of any markings which may be present in the area between the metal components upon the right face seen below.
Unless it has been sanded to death (like the stock immediately below), there should be at least 1 cartouche there:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
936 Posts
Per latest pics, this lumber may have been sanded & the TDD has been buffed.
If still present, the ordnance marking(s) that we seek would be found in the red area, & also possibly further aft:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The stock is post-war East German. For this SN range, the safety should not be numbered.

Whether this stock was replaced and numbered by the DDR or a collector, I don't know.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I see a good rifle with a much better than average facelift but still well worth the price.
DDR refurb or something else? The fellow who's estate it was probably didn't know either.
OP, what other types of items were represented at this estate sale? Like, was it top heavy in general WW2 stuff, other DDR gear, other Mausers, many Sporting arms, deep pocket heavy hitters buying higher end milsurp guns or was it just a bunch of average stuff and the 'usual suspects' bidding?
Trying to get a 'feel' for what the previous owners collector level was at might help you shine a brighter light on what's being represented here.
I like its look and for that money I would have jumped too.......and figured it out later........just the same as you're doing now.
Which at least makes two of us anyway!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The auction I got this from was billed as a "Machinery Consignment Auction". There was some farm equipment and stuff but he must not have got enough so he added the firearms. Looked like at least 4 different groups. Auctioneer said the ones me and my son bought were from an estate( no details). I got a GEW88 commission rifle with the K98. Son got a Brazilian mauser and 2 Arisakas. The "group" I was buying from also had some Krags, trapdoors, and some supposedly WW1 German marked Mosin Nagants, although I didn't see any marks ( but I had never heard of them and didn't want to gamble at the time). Altogether a great day. I have avoided even looking at K98s when I've seen them for sell because they usually sell high. I am enjoying learning about the nuances of this one. My son already put claim to this K98 when I am done with it.

·
Gold Bullet member
995 Posts
Nice Israeli marked sling. Looks good. As others have stated the stocked has been sanded. Very nice example and good price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts